Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 AM

Default unusual board

$2-$4 – first hand
Hero in BB with QQ

MP and Button limp, SB calls, hero RAISES, all call (8SB’s)

Flop: K,8,K rainbow. SB checks, hero bets, MP and button fold, SB calls
Turn: K. SB checks, hero bets, SB raises, hero 3 bets, SB calls
River: 4. SB checks, hero bets, SB raises , hero calls

A situation I’m not used and I worried about a weirdly slowplayed King. Do you think this is an easy river 3 bet.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: unusual board

If SB has a king, he didn't play it so weirdly. Small stakes players like to get tricky with big hands. (And they also like to check-call the flop and checkraise the turn with them.)

I'd probably start calling down at the turn checkraise, actually. Hands with kings in them are pretty popular (especially for people in the SB), and a lot of them are available.

In any event, I would bet the river when checked to, but I would not 3-bet the river checkraise.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:01 AM

I think this is an 8 or a worse pocket pair plenty of times when villain checkraises the turn. I'd say you played this one well.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 AM

Yes. I say three-bet. He would've capped the turn with a king, and with AA he surely would've raised preflop. I say he's got an 8 or a mid-small pocket pair, and he puts you on A high. Your Ladies are good.

His check-raise is pathetic. I was in a pot with a loose and semi-passive donkey a few days ago. I raised PF, flopped a set, bet and raised the whole way, and got check-raised on the river. I three-bet, he called and showed TPGK. Fish seem to think the "River Check-Raise" is the ultimate weapon... so scary that it will make you put up the white flag and lay down ANY hand. It's hilarious.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM

Ya you're right that him having the K and not capping the turn makes no sense, so I like 3 betting. He turned over an 8 and MH Made Me Very Happy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. I say three-bet. He would've capped the turn with a king, and with AA he surely would've raised preflop. I say he's got an 8 or a mid-small pocket pair, and he puts you on A high. Your Ladies are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking. No way he has a K.