Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Do I Get Anything Right Here At All??? JJ Heads-Up

Villian is definitely aggressive preflop as well as post flop. Raising with hands I usually call with and reraising with hands I would just raise with preflop. Post-flop is non-stop aggression with a flop AF=12 and turn AF=8. On the river I didn't see him call once (thus no river AF) over 90 hands. His VP$ is about 20% so he could be a TAG on a rush but for sure with a heavy emphasis on the AG. He has won about two-thirds of the hands he's played, many without a showdown. When he does showdown I think we was batting about .750.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

In general I have problems knowing when to cap. Usually I just call with JJ but I've seen this guy reraise with KJoff. Okay and maybe I was a little "tilted" by this guy.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Is the bet is okay here?? Should I have 3-bet? Checked and let him bet it? Check/fold, check/raise??? Arghhhh!

Turn: (6.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I get passive here for sure. Standard WA/WB? I don't see a fold and certainly don't see a raise??????

River: (8.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Same. Same.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Do I Get Anything Right Here At All??? JJ Heads-Up

These are tough. Your opponent is tight (sure sounds like a TAG on a rush), but his aggression isn't going to tell you anything at all. I think I like the preflop cap. Given your read I might have gone for the c/r on the flop, especially if you've EVER seen him slow down to a c/r. If not, bet-call/check-call/check-call is fine on this board.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:30 AM

The only problem here is that throughout the entire hand, you don't know where you stand. Maybe a check-raise on the flop would have helped define your hand, maybe not. Either way, calling down the rest of the way seems fine.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:34 AM

I think this looks fine against a superaggressive opponent. Let him do the betting for you. I certainly am not raising anywhere here, and really am not thinking about folding to the type of opponent.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:22 PM

You don't need to know exactly where you stand if you can make +EV moves w/o knowing. You shouldn't pay money to define your hand unless it's +EV to do so.

nh, hero.

Edit: Let me reword my second sentence. You shouldn't make -EV bets and raises just to "define your hand."
Old 10-27-2005, 12:47 PM

*grunch*
Is there any other way to play this hand?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems like maybe this current downswing is taking a toll on my confidence as well as my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I was seeing red and feeling out-of-control last night when I played that hand, which is the reason for the post. I quit shortly thereafter (at the time it was forever [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]), but this morning I was reviewing and re-reviewing the session and back to the forum so I guess I will be ready for more tonight. OR maybe I'll take tonight off and drink some beer instead. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:33 PM

grunching.

Since we are heads up, I think this is a classic opportunity to use WA/WB, check/call, check/call, bet. To me this is the best way to play the hand.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunching.

Since we are heads up, I think this is a classic opportunity to use WA/WB, check/call, check/call, bet. To me this is the best way to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK has 6 outs which is significant on the turn - not quite WA/WB
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM

against a very aggressive opponent the only other river option IMO is bet-call and I don't like that one as much as check-call.

EDIT: aggro -&gt; he may bet AK here hoping we're calling down with it and hoping to fold us, and he will also likely value bet all pocket pairs he has.