Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Default An old AKo hand, standard?

Party 3/6 6 max, 5 handed, this happened a while back and I found it looking at my old pokerhand.org stuff.

I'm in the BB with AKo.

UTG raises, called by the CO and the button. From what I remember UTG was non spectactular but not horrible and the button was a lag manaic.

SB folds and I 3-bet.

Called back to the button who caps. This doesn't mean much, his preflop action hasn't really had any logic to it. It's more likely jank than it is AA/KK. Everybody calls.

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to the button who bets, I call, UTG folds, CO calls. (I don't remember much about the CO, odds are he wasn't good, because his call didn't bother me that much).

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to the button, bet, we both call.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, CO Checks, button bets, I raise.

I'm reasonably sure button will bet for me here. I'm also reasonably sure that I'm good.

I'm feeling like given my read on the button, I should have given some thought into raising the flop with what was likely the best hand and making all those other nasty people go away.

Something I didn't think about at the time, but am considering now, is that I think a river c/r might win me the hand even if I didn't make my pair, simply because the button is so likely to be behind me and the CO might not call two cold without a holding I would have heard from earlier.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: An old AKo hand, standard?

Why not bet out so you can get CO to call?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:34 PM

It's hard to say without remember my specific read on the CO, either I thought he'd fold to my bet, or that he'd likely call two cold. I agree that that's a line I should have probably considered.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checked to the button who bets, I call,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there merit to raising here to isolate and/or clean up outs?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:52 PM

My only consideration is the button and CO may fold to the check-raise, so we only get one bet.

In terms of bets in pot, I like just betting because a) can't get checked through and b) We'll pick up a variant of overcalls a lot of the time.

If he folds to your donk in this large pot its a great read too, might be able to bluff him later.