Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 AM

Default (LC) Is my 6-max chart wacked out, or what?

My first 12k hands at 6-max has been wild. I had a 250 BB downswing, then a 150 BB rush, then normality, then another big downswing. Is this typical or am I at the tail of the statistical distribution? I'm a winning player at full ring, but I'm new to 6-max. That said, my stats match up fairly well to the 6-max stats FAQ in this forum. I've received far less than my fair share of premiums like AA-QQ, AK, and I've had a lot of big hands cracked, like boats and flushes. But, still, shouldn't the graph be more monotonic? I'm freaked out and feel like I'm a closet LAG or something.

Edit: I'm not looking for a critical analysis. Just comment on monotonicity of your own results compared to this and/or how it relates a theoretical win chart.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: (LC) Is my 6-max chart wacked out, or what?

I lost 458 BB from 0 to 11k hands at 1/2 6M before I admitted to myself I sucked at it. Now I think I'm getting it. I'm up 75BB in my last 1k.

PS: The Oppressive Jack Booted Overseers could come along at any time to lock this thread, so watch out.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:35 AM

Where should I post it then? I'm not asking for advice on my stats. I just want to discuss the bounds of variance in 6-max. There has been little discussion of 6-max in stats threads. I had no clue it was so much worse than full ring until I played it.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:38 AM

According to the Oppressors, it should be posted in the No Content thread. However, posting in there is sort of like yelling in a crowded sports stadium. Some people will hear you, but mainly your voice will just become part of the background noise.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a winning player at full ring, but I'm new to 6-max. That said, my stats match up fairly well to the 6-max stats FAQ in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should post your stats. It's possible that you are in some way making terrible blunders that you aren't aware of.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lost 458 BB from 0 to 11k hands at 1/2 6M before I admitted to myself I sucked at it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Je. Sus. Christ.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first 12k hands at 6-max has been wild. I had a 250 BB downswing, then a 150 BB rush, then normality, then another big downswing. Is this typical or am I at the tail of the statistical distribution? I'm a winning player at full ring, but I'm new to 6-max. That said, my stats match up fairly well to the 6-max stats FAQ in this forum. I've received far less than my fair share of premiums like AA-QQ, AK, and I've had a lot of big hands cracked, like boats and flushes. But, still, shouldn't the graph be more monotonic? I'm freaked out and feel like I'm a closet LAG or something.

Edit: I'm not looking for a critical analysis. Just comment on monotonicity of your own results compared to this and/or how it relates a theoretical win chart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think this is low content actually. A lot of people think 6-max is swingier than full ring. Over the past 2 weeks I had a 140BB downswing over 1 week followed by a 200BB upswing over 4 days followed by a 66BB downswing last night.

Usually I do not experience this kind of variance though. Generally the more you are beating the game for the fewer downswings you will have. If you consider that a breakeven player will have an even number of downswings and upswings, a 1BB/100 player will have more upswings and fewer downswings. A 6BB/100 player will on average have far more winning sessions than losing sessions. I think many people who start playing 6-max after full ring don't realize that they will be beating the game for less (or even a slight loser at first) and since the hands are played more quickly they are shocked by the swings. The better you get the fewer downswings you'll have.

When first starting at 6-max it is normal to overplay your big hands, so it may be worthwhile to go back and make sure you didn't overplay those. People tend to think that against the weaker hands these premium hands will never be cracked and it's important to still realize that a decent opponent is usually going to be able to put you on a premium hand when you cap every street and that one pair is still just one pair (so if they're still they aren't afraid of your AA). Try to see what sorts of hands your opponent could have when they show extreme aggression and if they play every hand that way or only their strong hands. It's ok to call maniacs down with an unimproved AK but don't raise and reraise because you think they are playing with a worse hand - 1/3 of the time they improved to a pair at least.

I think you should post your stats here as after 12k hands they should have started to stabilize.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:07 PM

OK here are my detailed 6-max stats. I'm aware that my VP$IP and PFR are low, but I believe that is because of my lower than normal amount of decent starting hands. I've been following the 6-max starting hand charts posted here in the forums. I'm about 17/8 at full ring.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm aware that my VP$IP and PFR are low, but I believe that is because of my lower than normal amount of decent starting hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
After 12k hands? Nope, you're just too tight.

Check out the Wookie's 6-max stats FAQ.

Raise more preflop. Steal more. (These probably go together.) Get more aggressive postflop.

What are your VP$IP and PFR numbers by position?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM

It looks like you are folding way to often preflop to blind steals (should be around 50% folded BB 70% folded sb). And you are folding the best hand too often postflop resulting in a high w$sd and low wtsd.