Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 08:00 PM

Default 5/10 LO8 - Bad checkraise on river with decent two-way hand?

BB is super-loose. He'll play big pair regardless of sidecards, and over 200 hands (small sample I know), he has folded his SB to a raise 0% of the time (50% BB). Completes from the SB 75% of the time (I just got PTO, how loose are these figures?).

Anyone still leading the turn? I would hate to get raised there.

Too aggro on the river? I think I have decent shot for a scoop, and very good chance to get at least one half of the pot.

***** Hand History for Game 2919947928 *****
$5/$10 Omaha Hi/Lo - Sunday, October 23, 17:56:14 EDT 2005
Table Table 65377 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 3: BB( $243.25 )
Seat 4: haKas ( $151.75 )
Seat 5: lizun ( $277.83 )
Seat 2: Hero ( $271.25 )
Seat 6: roxybury ( $317.03 )
Seat 1: mrgordy222 ( $160 )
Hero posts small blind [$2].
Villain posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
haKas folds.
lizun folds.
roxybury folds.
mrgordy222 folds.
Hero raises [$8].
BB calls [$5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Hero bets [$5].
BB calls [$5].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Hero checks.
BB bets [$10].
Hero calls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ 8 ]
Hero checks.
BB bets [$10].
Hero raises [$20].
BB calls [$10].
Old 10-23-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: 5/10 LO8 - Bad checkraise on river with decent two-way hand?

Burdz - I rate A57Ts marginal in a nine or ten handed game. Doesn't seem like it would be much better in a six handed game. The ace-five-seven three-card-combo is lame for low in a full game, and also is lame for low in a six handed game. The nut flush draw figures to collect more in a full game than in a six handed game, but will win more if the board pairs and also flushes.

At any rate, I'd want to see the flop in a six handed game, and since everybody has folded except BB, and you have an excellent one-on-one hand, you pop it. Seems right to me.

Then you bet the flop and check the unfavorable turn. Fine.

I wouldn't check-raise on the river. Too much, in my humble opinion. You already raised before the flop. Play this aggressively very often and you'll drive this fish right out of your game.

Anyhow, you did it. Whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still leading the turn? I would hate to get raised there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Too aggro on the river? I think I have decent shot for a scoop, and very good chance to get at least one half of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in my humble opinion, too aggressive - but not for the reason you might think. You look around for games with players you can beat. Here you've found a player you can beat. And you're punishing this player by raising his/her blind and then check-raising on the river.

Over the course of the playing session you'll probably get BB's money anyhow. You don't have to stick it up his/her nose. It might be good poker, but it's not good human or public relations. It's no fun to get check-raised, especially on the river.

Unless your goal is to teach BB to not always bet after you've checked, bet the river yourself and be satisfied with one big bet from BB this time instead of two.

Just my humble opinion.

Buzz
Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM

lol, he taught me a lesson Buzz..by just calling with 2346 and scooping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 AM

I don't like raising the river heads-up unless I'm sure I got a good chance at getting both the high and low. Given the play of your hand, I think you'll probably get half, but am very doubtful of getting the scoop and afraid of getting none.