Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 08:46 PM

Default JJ-KK in early position

Very basic everyday stuff:

Fixed limit .5/1 at Party.

Say that I have JJ, QQ or KK in early position. I raise preflop and get called by 3 players behind me. The flop comes, say, 5, 8, and an overcard to my wired pair (Q, K or A, respectively).

What is the proper action in this case? Should I bet away, or check to see if anyone has, or pretends to have, made a pair with the overcard on the board. If I bet, I probably will only get called even if someone's hit the top pair since I raised preflop. And if I check, everyone will usually suspect that the flop didn't hit me, and may bet the overcard as a bluff.

Maybe I'm too terrified of my opponents bluffing me, but I tend to bet away in situations like these. It seems very hard to give up any of these three pairs on the flop, although I'm practically drawing to two outs.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: JJ-KK in early position

[ QUOTE ]
If I bet, I probably will only get called even if someone's hit the top pair since I raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm too terrified

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 10-23-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very basic everyday stuff:

Fixed limit .5/1 at Party.

Say that I have JJ, QQ or KK in early position. I raise preflop and get called by 3 players behind me. The flop comes, say, 5, 8, and an overcard to my wired pair (Q, K or A, respectively).

What is the proper action in this case? Should I bet away, or check to see if anyone has, or pretends to have, made a pair with the overcard on the board. If I bet, I probably will only get called even if someone's hit the top pair since I raised preflop. And if I check, everyone will usually suspect that the flop didn't hit me, and may bet the overcard as a bluff.

Maybe I'm too terrified of my opponents bluffing me, but I tend to bet away in situations like these. It seems very hard to give up any of these three pairs on the flop, although I'm practically drawing to two outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be sure that their call means they have you beat. A lot of players call with bad hands or hands you beat, at least at this level, so you have to develop reads about what someone's call/bet means. If you raise KK, flop comes Axx, you bet and get raised, you have to use your read to figure out what to do. If he just calls, you probably bet again unless he's the type of player that would not call without tp here. What to do depends on the players. If they are unknown and three call your flop bet, you may want to slow down on a drawless board, but there's no clear answer because you have no information on them.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:15 PM

A lot depends on who it is that has done the cold-calling.

Remember, people who cold-call UTG raises generally aren't the ilk that are restricting themselves to only playing premium hands.

Look at the board and see if it is two-flushed or offers an open end straight draw. Now bet.

If you get called ask yourself why would anyone call. Perhaps they have a draw, or perhaps they have the overcard you fear. Or perhaps they enjoy calling and paying you off.

If there is no apparent draw and you are still getting called and not raised, you may start to feel terrified but not until then.

I think this is important type of situation to learn how to deal with, since you need to feel comfortable enough playing these types of situations so that you can open-raise with 88 in middle position or lead out UTG with 99.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:05 PM

At .5/1 this is an easy bet. People cold call with a lot that doesn't beat you. If it is still Multiway on the turn you can check fold