Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:45 AM

Default I try to be deceptive...just end up being a pansy

Party Poker (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I raise, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB Folds, I call

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, I call

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets, I raise, SB calls

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

I just want to make sure that this was an easy river value bet. I have problems folding for one more bet on the river, so I checked to avoid that situation altogether...bad right?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: I try to be deceptive...just end up being a pansy

I would bet/fold, unless he was tricky in which case I would bet/call.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:19 AM

Man oh man, not capping with KK headsup. You should be capping with enough things headsup that you arent really giving away that much information. Shorthanded id cap: 99, tt, jj, qq, kk, aa, ak, aks, aqs, maybe aq and maybe ajs.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 AM

Yes I guess I should mention that since the table became 4 handed, I had been raising a LOT of hands. In fact, the only reason I decided to call the 3bet was to make it look like a completely unlegitimate hand or a weak ace that might be dominated. I figured the opponent would go to war with me if he hit a decent hand (middle or top pair), whereas he would slow down much quicker if I cap preflop and tell him I have either two big cards, or a mid to high pocket pair
Old 10-24-2005, 01:32 AM

If he goes weak at the knees with a preflop cap, why aren't you capping with a few lesser hands, like ATs etc?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:51 AM

This is the first time we have been heads up where he has 3bet my raise. I wasn't saying that he goes weak in the knees at all. I am saying that in a heads-up battle where he 3bet out of position and perceives me as a giant LAG, it can be more profitable to call a 3bet preflop to disguise the strength of my hand, and get it back on the turn and river, where he might be more apt to pay off with worse holdings for a lack of being able to put me on a hand

As it turns out, he had exactly what I was hoping, which was 10 10. The board came blanks, and I expected him to go nuts with a bunch of undercards, but he went into his shell fairly quickly on the turn. In retrospect, it would have been better to just cap preflop, but my line has to be right sometimes against more aggro. postflop players
Old 10-24-2005, 02:30 AM

Regardless of whether the PF cap is correct or not. I think you can raise that flop and expect to get played back at often enough to make it profitable. The pf call, flop call, and turn raise scream either overpair or A9.