Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 03:59 AM

Default avoiding strategy changes when running bad

When running bad and have dissapointing results, avoid thoughts that affect strategy towards the weak, tight, or passive side.

For example, when playing QQ up front, avoid just calling on the basis that "an Ace or King may fall, someone may have AA or KK behind me anyway"

When faced with a raise and you hold AK, avoid smooth calling on the basis "Let me just see the flop before I get too involved."

When you flop a nut flush draw, avoid check-calling or checking, play it aggressively, unless you have other strategic reasons not to raise

When the pot is large enough, make that call to catch a gut shot or an overcard on the turn or river when you're reasonably sure your hand will be good if you hit. Dont fold on the basis that "it probably wont come."

When faced with a raise, dont necessarily lay down middle pairs, on the basis that "I'm in a coin flip at best."

Dont necessarily lay down a middle pocket pair if one over card falls, unless you are fairly certain someone has that pair.

Avoid checking and calling when running bad. Keep betting and raising.

Dont let short term results turn a winning strategy into a losing stategy, which will keep you losing even longer.

-J
Old 10-22-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: avoiding strategy changes when running bad

Thanks for the advice, I have been running badly over the past week, but trying resolutely not to play bad poker.

It's very tempting to not commit too much money to the pot even when you're winning just because you are running so badly and think you will probably lose anyway.

Having a lot of trouble in the no foldem holdem category, but im not bitter about it, I accept any 2 cards can win.

Has anyone got any advice on driving out weaker hands? I'm raising and re-raising premium hands and not getting anywhere.

I'm playing .25/50 (people do actually fold at this limit?)
.50/1 (3-3 and 2-2 are unfoldable hands)
1/2 (well i was)

Also has anyone got any advice for selecting games/sites where there is a more likely profit?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 AM

The more people that take the flop (common in loose games) the stronger hand you have to hold after the flop. One pair and two pair type hands dont hold that much water.

You have to be more patient and be more inclined to fold marginal hands.

Play more hands in late position, so your hand reading skills will give you a better idea of what you are up against on all rounds of play. Play fewer hands up front, and when you do, raise with them.

-J
Old 10-22-2005, 07:48 PM

Good post.

While this is good advice for those that like to crawl into their shell, it is also important that aggressive players running bad avoid the following:

1) Spewing
2) Turning into a Sheriff

All said I think it is important to run bad and go on tilt occasionally. It reminds you of the nature of the game and human behavior. To really know your game is solid, you have to except variance, constantly try to maximize profit, and realize when you are on tilt and should take a break.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Today I spewed 2-3BBs with AKs against a Laggy Donk. I lost control for a few seconds, but it cost me an hour of work.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All said I think it is important to run bad and go on tilt occasionally. It reminds you of the nature of the game and human behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beg yer pardon?

I'd just as soon run good / maintain my composure forever, thanks, and learn about the irrational side of human nature someplace else.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Well anacardo, I can't really disagree with you. Yes it would be wonderful if no one ever went on tilt. Unfortunately, most humans get angry and frustrated occasionally. I think it is beneficial for a person to realise his/her limitations, and adjust accordingly. However, if one goes on tilt more than 1% of the time, they probably should find another hobby.

For most people, poker is a learning adventure. Learning every aspect over a lifetime should be fun and +EV. This includes controlling the tilt factor and exploiting the tilt factor in others.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone got any advice on driving out weaker hands? I'm raising and re-raising premium hands and not getting anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give ME advice on how to reraise premium hands and NOT cause people to fold? You must have the Midas touch. I envy you.

-eric
Old 10-23-2005, 12:57 AM

deep thoughts, by jack hand...er, JJNJustin.