Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Who likes a river raise here?

10/20. 6 handed.

Loose passive limper. Very loose semi-aggresive, very bad player limps, I raise K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. Blinds scarper, Loose Passive calls, Bad Player 3 bets! How often do you thinks this is a retard play with some random crap, as opposed to a big hand? I reckon 90% former at least. Perhaps I should cap now, but I call, LP calls.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

LP checks, BP bets, I call (raise better?). LP calls.

River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

LP checks, BP bets.

Fwiw if I raise here BP is never folding a pair. I think he calls with A high too.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Who likes a river raise here?

When it comes to limp reraises, it is my experience that when it is an open-limp followed by a reraise, then it is most often a big hand, AA,KK etc.

But when it is an overlimp followed by a reraise (as it is here), it is most often any random hand EXCEPT for a big hand. So I agree with your notion that 90%+ of the time here it won't be a big hand. Usually a small PP or suited connector 67s-JQs.

As for the rest of the hand:

FLOP: Well, I don't see much point in betting.

TURN: You're getting something like 5.5:1 (a little less after rake) You have gutshot outs but your overcard outs, especially the Qs, are a bit dubious, I'd give you maybe 7-8 outs, it being so hard to put our opponents on hand ranges given the action.

So the turn call is close given that you aren't closing the action but because the other opponent is loose passive there is a good chance he won't raise and a decent chance he won't fold, so it helps your pot odds a bit.

I like the call, especially since it might get checked through on the river and K high might be good? Long shot but you never know. Also 3 of your outs are to the nuts so +implied odds.

As for a raise on the turn or river: I just don't think the pot is big enough to merit it on the turn, especially with a guy that probably has no qualms about calling 2 cold.
And if the dude will call with any A or any PP, I just can't see it being worth it on the river, again with the possibility of the LP guy calling 2 cold with any pair.