Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 AM

Default AK

Some people may recognise this hand and it's one that I got the answer wrong, first and second time I saw it. Those people who do recognise it from the last time they saw it, try not to ruin it.

On the contrary, assume SB is a 2+2er and see if your thinking changes.

What does Hero do and what range of hands do we give SB?

Preflop: Hero is button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 limpers, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 players)
5 checks, Hero bets , SB check-raises, 1 fold, 3 calls, Hero?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: AK

I'm 3-betting against the TAG. KTs on up is a possible hand here and he's check-raising to protect. If I was in the small blind I would lead into the raiser with 99, 66, and JTs. Even if he caps, he's aggressive, so KTs+ is still a possiblility.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 AM

I don't recognize this hand, is it from SSH?

This is an easy 3-bet IMO. My reasoning:
A check/raise from SB here is not a sign of great strenght, he's trying to force players out of the pot and he's likely to hold Kx or even worse. We have 3 players (who's likely playing too loose) trapped for 1 extra SB when we 3-bet. Sure 1-2 of them might have a strong draw, but we have a strong redraw against a flush. An argument could be made for charging their draws on the turn instead, but when SB gets 3 cold callers and Hero along he will start checking hands like Kx on the turn. There's no way we will be able to protect our hand so it's time to start charging those loose players.

My play doesn't change if SB is a 2+2er, he's still likely to check/raise the flop with KQs/KJs and hands like such. If he called preflop with a pair and have flopped a set he would have led the flop instead of check/raising.

Since you've gotten wrong on this question two times in a row I suppose someone has arguments for calling, right?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people may recognise this hand and it's one that I got the answer wrong, first and second time I saw it. Those people who do recognise it from the last time they saw it, try not to ruin it.

On the contrary, assume SB is a 2+2er and see if your thinking changes.

What does Hero do and what range of hands do we give SB?

Preflop: Hero is button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 limpers, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 players)
5 checks, Hero bets , SB check-raises, 1 fold, 3 calls, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i don't remember this hand.
i'm 3-betting the flop here against any SB.

edit: i haven't had my coffee.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Well - I don't know the right or wrong answer so I'll give the obviouse wrong answer (probebly) I reraise!!

I have check raised in this situation with King lower kicker . . . .just for kicks!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:57 AM

SB is not a 2+2er, but the action is to 3-bet the flop.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is not a 2+2er, but the action is to 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the "answer" is? I have hard to believe OP missed this raise 2 times in a row and I have even harder believing anything other than 3-betting is correct.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM

looks like a protection c/r to me. if he had a set he should bet/3-bet. for me: 3-bet especially given we have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] should a spade fall on the turn.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looks like a protection c/r to me. if he had a set he should bet/3-bet. for me: 3-bet especially given we have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] should a spade fall on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this looks like a TP protection C/R to me. Maybe something like KQs-KTs? Not too many other TP hands that should be calling this from the SB by a 2+2er.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 AM

Yes this is a SSHE hand. p283.

The first and second time I saw this, I said CALL but I understand the 3 betting mentality.

SSHE p283
[ QUOTE ]
You have too much equity to miss a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

But then Miller goes a little further.
[ QUOTE ]
If you knew the small blind would bet the turn if you just called, then you would prefer waiting until then to raise. But do not wait unless you are confident your opponent will bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I don't have as much poker experience as most of you guys. But tell me.

Have you ever EVER seen someone check-raise and then just check the turn when a blank falls when all he had on the flop was callers.

Not that it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it happen. And even if it does, I don't think it happens often.

I'll wait to hear from you guys with the experience.