Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Challenging myself

Hoping that this will get some comment/advise. Normally play tournaments and some rings (not many) but sort of felt like I was getting complacent with my game. I probably play about 2-2.5K hands a month total due to having little ones at home etc., so I decided to challenge myself.

I’m am going to try and play 10K hands at 1/2, 10K at 2/4, and finish up with 10K at 3/6. I am trying to see if I have the patience and starting hand discipline to survive the lower limits. I have read and seen enough of the awful beats people take here but really think I need the lesson in tilt management and self discipline.

This will most likely take me a few months to complete, but I think that with the help of PokerTracker, it will provide me with some good material to review. I am hoping for:

1) Good starting hand selection/decision
2) Increase thought about position and action
3) Not being a table sheriff
4) Temperament discipline
5) Reviewing the basics.
Any thoughts on what my VP$IP, Aggression Factor, etc. should look like or just overall stats would be would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Challenging myself

I recently got done with 10K at 2/4, which I wanted to do before I moved up to 3/6. I had a VP$IP of about 15-16%, and a PFR of 9% (i'm at school right now, don't have the exact numbers on me right now) I think my Aggro factor was about 2.5, and my winrate was 2.33BB/hr
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM

If this is at the Party 2/4 I think you 15-16% VP$IP is too tight on the order of about 5-6 percentage points. You're probably not stealing enough and missing value with good multi-way hands (assuming your game selection is decent).
Old 10-21-2005, 02:39 PM

It is really tough to say what your numbers "should" be. It depends on how the action at the table is. I think the best advise is to play your best poker game and review the stats when you are done with your 10k hands. In PT you can filter your hands by position, how you play when you raise preflop and bet/raise the flop, how you handle big hands. This is a great feature that people should use more than relying on stats. (I really need to do more of this myself but I too have a busy schedule with work and have a pregnant wife.)