Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Clueless with JQsuited at Absolute 3/6 full table

This is my first post...and this was a very oddly played hand. The game was very loose, with a big fish playing on tilt in MP. I have no info on anyone else as of yet.

Preflop:

I limp in UTG + 1 with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Villain #1 raises out of UTG + 2, Fish cold calls in MP, Villain #2 cold calls in MP + 1, SB folds, and BB calls, I call.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.33 SB)

BB bets out, I raise, Villain #1 3bets, Fish cold calls, Villain #2 folds, BB caps...what now? There are now 11.16 BB in the pot.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Clueless with JQsuited at Absolute 3/6 full table

Getting 11:1 I think you can peel. Check/fold the turn UI. If you do improve, still play cautiously.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 11:1 I think you can peel. Check/fold the turn UI. If you do improve, still play cautiously.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly what I was thinking (even though not many cards would improve me.) So I called and so did the remaining 2 players after me, leaving 13.16 BB in the pot.

Turn came 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Board now reads 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB leads out. Villain #1 behind me has shown a lot of aggression and BB has shown a lot of strength on the flop (thus the possibility of another 3bet or cap). What NOW?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 AM

Great card, because it makes your decision easy: fold. You have top pair, but only a decent kicker in a hand where a lot of people have shown serious interest. It's very likely KK/AA is against you, if not AQ/KQ. QJ is a payoff hand. The only reason you played it in the first place in EP is because it was suited. Don't fall in love with it. QJ is a payoff hand. If the results in this case show that you folded the best hand, it's an anomaly. The correct play is to fold the turn.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 AM

Newbie speculation, but I'd guess you're at least behind another queen with a better kicker. Yet I would call the flop but fold UI on the turn simply because I hate betting and folding on the same round.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate betting and folding on the same round.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should get over this. It's a leak if you never bet/fold on the same street.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Newbie speculation, but I'd guess you're at least behind another queen with a better kicker. Yet I would call the flop but fold UI on the turn simply because I hate betting and folding on the same round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My thoughts were that I was behind AA/KK/AQ/KQ for villain #1 and BB was representing a set or queen with better kicker. I figured that it was 50/50 as to whether I should lay it down on the flop or peel. I opted for the peel and folded the turn because of all the aggression.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:31 AM

With the board reading: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (13.16 BB)

BB led out and bet, I folded, and much to my chagrin Villain #1 only called, and the Fish called his remaining 1.70 dollars.

River came 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (approximately 15.5 BB)

BB checks, Villain #1 checks.

BB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain #1 mucks.
Fish mucks.

BB wins pot.

I pat myself on the back for making the right play, but cry for giving opponents so much credit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I guess the BB played the pot correctly, especially on the turn, but I don't quite understand Villain #1's flop play...and the cap by BB definitely threw me off. I really had no worries about the fish.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Mark this play down in your notes. Very surprising action from an unknown, but now it is known, so you should know it.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 PM

You just fold here, there is very little chance you're ahead here and it's going to very expensive if you're not. Fold and move on.