Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Raising w/ gutshots?

I'm not sure about how aggressive I'm supposed to be in SH games.

2/4 6-handed

All opponents are a bit loose, a bit passive. Weak postflop.

Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG limps, 2 folds, Hero limps, SB calls, BB raises, all call.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, UTG folds, Hero raises?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Raising w/ gutshots?

i raise preflop

I raise the flop
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM

if you won't get either of them to fold in this situation, you should only raise draws that have a pot equity edge.

for example... if you have a flush draw to the nuts with 9 outs, you will make your flush by the river 35% of the time.
you have more than your share of pot equity. here you can raise, since if both of them call, you will be making money in the long run.

if you had that gutshot + two overcards that you were almost certain would give you the best hand if they paired, you would have close to 10 outs. then you could value bet.

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readPos...tingId=1701870
Old 10-20-2005, 06:26 PM

why raise the flop? at least one of them isn't folding the flop and probably not the turn. i found i couldn't push people off hands at small stakes level. i don't think you have 10 outs here. maybee 7.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:27 PM

I'd raise PF. I think your player reads also make the flop a raise though at 10/20 I'd hardly ever raise it.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about how aggressive I'm supposed to be in SH games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be misunderstanding when you hear that you are supposed to be much more aggressive in SH games.

You still want to base all of your decisions on equity edges and expected value etc. You don't go around raising gutshots just because the game is shorthanded (not to say you were right or wrong to do so in this hand). You don't need to radically adjust your aggression once you get into SH games. The common theory is to play it just as if it were a ten handed game, and the first 4 people folded. Increased aggression will naturally follow if you play in accordance with this theory, you don't have to consciously increase aggression yourself.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 PM

Raise preflop.

You need to be thinking about what your opponent might have. Here's a passive player raising from the BB after 3 limpers. Hint: he doesn't have 44. Mostly he'll have AA-JJ, many low limit players don't even raise AK here.

Thus you're usually drawing to 4 outs, and there is absolutely no reason to charge yourself 2 bets to see the turn. No reason.