Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Default BB donk betting flop

Fairly common 6max problem.

You raise with AK/KQ (any non-pair), BB calls.

You don't improve on flop, BB bets.......

If there's a Flush draw that I didn't get a piece of, a straight draw, or an overcard; I usually fold. Figure it's not worth chasing a 2 BB pot when I could be close to dead.

If it's a raggedy flop with no high cards; I'll often raise, then take free card on Turn and call River if still unimproved (get busted draws betting into me at least enough to make it worth a call).

I rarely just call the flop bet.

Is this the right line?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: BB donk betting flop

you have good odds to call the flop quite often and then fold the turn unimproved.

if you decide to raise the flop, bet the turn.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Thats one of your jobs at the table. Is to find out what those donk bets mean. Look at what kind of player it is, and the texture of the board. It's a read dependant situation that takes some paying attention to, to figure out.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Keep in mind that a donkbet into a drawy board could be either a weak pair OR a draw. Whereas a donkbet into a board without draws is either a weak pair or a complete bluff. It depends on your reads, but I am more willing to consider going to showdown on a drawy board that does complete the draws then a ragged board if BB donks the flop and then follows through with a turn donk.

Also, I generally like just calling the flop donk. Usually you must suspect you may be behind and want more information (see the next card; see what BB does on the turn) to decide how to proceed.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Exactly. This is all about reads. There are no magic formulas.

There is one guy I play a lot who will only bet draws in the BB and CR made hands. I feel a lot of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for him. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]