Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 PM

Default MTT IQ Draught question 1#

I had a previous post on this MTT IQ Test

In short - I need to find or produce an MTT IQ test for help with my dissertation that has quantifiable answers (right and wrong answers).

I have about 30 odd questions I will possibly be using, but this one is a bit less well defined than the others. I would be very grateful if people could read this, suggest the answers they would give, and say and pitfulls etc they can see with the question, or anyway of improving it. I have tried to ensure the language is kept simple so that people who are not used to the terminology can still answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

You enter a £75 buy-in MTT tournament. 96 people enter the tournament. The pay structure is as follows.

1st £2600
2nd £1500
3rd £800
4th £650
5th £500
6th £400
7th £300
8th £250
9th £200
10th £0

You are on the final table of the tournament, 10 people are left. The blinds are 400/800. You are sitting on the button (last position). There are 96,000 chips on the table, you only have 800 chips. There are 8 hands left before you will be forced all-in on the Big Blind (BB). The smallest stack after you has 2500 chips, he is currently on the BB.

1) The majority of people are playing tight, they are waiting for you to get knocked out so that they can ensure they reach the money, this is especially true of the player with 2500 chips. Please state in the following situations if you would call (all-in) for your last 800 or fold, and briefly say why.

a) You are dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], there are three players in front of you who limp (call the blind).
b) You are dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], everyone has folded around to you.
c) You are dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], there is one player in front of you who limps (calls the blind).
d) You are dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], there is one player in front of you who limps (calls the blind).

2) In the above situations there has been a lot of aggressive and loose play from the other players, including the short stacks. They do not appear to be holding out for 9th place and the money, please state how you would play the hands in questions 1 a, b, c and d given this new information.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: MTT IQ Draught question 1#

Noone have any suggestions at all?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:26 PM

I'll give it a shot.
1a)I'd call. You have a shot to quadruple up and your hand plays well multiway
1b) definate call
1c)Fold
1d)Call
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 PM

First, your question needs more precise phrasing. Is your goal to maximize your $EV, or to win the tourney? I assume the former, given that you list the payout structure, but not all MTT players think that way.

Second, how can there be 8 hands to go before you're forced out, but 3 limpers in front of you?

As for the answers,

Scenario 1)
a) This is a very close call, in my book. On the one hand, your cards are probably live, your hand plays well multi-way, and if you win, you'll have enough money that teh other players will no longer be able to afford simply to wait for you to bust.

On the other hand, with three early position limpers, your equity in this pot is probably pretty low. You're likely up against at least one pair, and some high cards that reduce your straight possibilities. Plus this will be a big pot that someone may well bust in.

I probably call all the same, but I don't think the answer is clear enough for this question to be appropriate for your test.

b) Easy call

c) Easy fold

d) Easy call

Scenario 2)

Honestly none of my answers change, but I always try to win. In a straight $EV scenario, I'd venture the following guesses, although I'd need to check ICM:

a) fold
b) call
c) fold
d) call

The answers are much more clear-cut if you're in later position, by the way.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, your question needs more precise phrasing. Is your goal to maximize your $EV, or to win the tourney? I assume the former, given that you list the payout structure

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, good point, I shall add in that your goal is to maximise your $EV.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, how can there be 8 hands to go before you're forced out, but 3 limpers in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. You are sitting on the button, if noone goes out, you will be forced all-in on the BB. There are 8 hands until this happens. Obviously there are a lot of limpers in this hand making it possible someone will bust, but if you assume they will all play tight after the flop for fear of missing money.

[ QUOTE ]
I probably call all the same, but I don't think the answer is clear enough for this question to be appropriate for your test.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point about its possible that someone will go out, but I need a question that shows the importance of this sort of situation. I need a question that has a more complicated thought process. Can you think of a better example I could use given the above situation? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]

2b) call

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you really call? I thought this would be an obvious fold. You have 8 hands left, if it is likely someone will bust out soon why risk it on a hand that is probably only going to be 50/50 maybe even worse if the SB joins in, and doesn't greatly increase your chances of moving very far up the money when you will gain only a maximum 2400 chip stack.
With the next place gaining you £200, and the next two thereafter only gaining £50, surely it is not worth gambling it up? Please feel free to shoot me down on this, if I am totally wrong, or if there is an alternative answer for why you should call (possible something I could give them the mark for if they explain the reasoning).
Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 AM

C- Im afraid. You got question 1 right, but you didn't even bother to answer question 2! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your goal to maximize your $EV, or to win the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's this about? You maximize your EV by trying to the win the tournament.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:22 AM

1a. Call
1b. Call
1c. Fold if no antes, if antes call.
1d. Call

2a. Call
2b. Call
2c. Fold
2d. Call
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2b) call

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you really call? I thought this would be an obvious fold. You have 8 hands left, if it is likely someone will bust out soon why risk it on a hand that is probably only going to be 50/50 maybe even worse if the SB joins in, and doesn't greatly increase your chances of moving very far up the money when you will gain only a maximum 2400 chip stack.
With the next place gaining you £200, and the next two thereafter only gaining £50, surely it is not worth gambling it up? Please feel free to shoot me down on this, if I am totally wrong, or if there is an alternative answer for why you should call (possible something I could give them the mark for if they explain the reasoning).

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be up against a random hand, possibly two. 66 is better than 50/50 against a random hand.
Those 2400 chips are important leverage. Now you actually have folding equity-- not much, but some, enough that folds might actually happen when you start moving in.
You COULD gamble that you'll hang on long enough for someone else to be eliminated, but if you want a real shot at making something you have to make this call. Even at an aggressive table there is no real guarantee someone will bust in the next eight hands.
Gotta gamble sometime.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
66 is better than 50/50 against a random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its 63% against a random hand and 43% against 2 random hands. I would assume SB would call to greatly increase their chances of making the money. Thus on average you are about 50/50, but obviously this is to treble up.

With an aggressive table and an average stack level of little over 12x BB, I think it is very likely someone will bust out. Even if they don’t, you could find a much better hand within the next 8 hands. On top of that, you would have to finish at least 6th to win another £200, that means you are assuming that by winning this 50/50 and trebling up (to only 3xBB), you will somehow ensure you gain 4 more places. Surely calling is -$EV?

Please provide some counter arguments. For I fear this is not as cut and dry as I thought it would be.

What about 55? 44? When would your decision change? Maybe I just need to lower the pocket pair.