Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Default gym-spotting

I hate when I ask someone to spot me and they have no idea what they are doing. For all those new to the gym. This is how you generally spot someone unless they tell you otherwise.

1. You and the person being spotted should discuss what the excercise is, if he needs a liftoff, where he wants support, how many reps he is going for, and when he will usually need help.

2. When the person is starting to struggle, and cannot complete the motion, your job is to apply gentle help so that he may just complete the rep. DO NOT start to do the excercise for him. The rep should take considerably more time than the reps where he was capable of doing it himself, and he should be pushing/pulling in full force to get this one done.

3. The person being spotted may want help with the more than the last rep. Maybe the last 2 or 3.

Ok. that is all
Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: gym-spotting

I dont care if I am "in exile" or not, this story is too good...after this i wont post here any more censored...just mid/high...anyways......

2 years ago, Im benching, thinking Im tough. I work out in a gym with some hyoooge dudes (mainly competive powerlifters/bodybuilders/firefighters etc), its mainly a hardcore gym, and there are no lady members. I load up 315, which at the time was near my 3 rep max, two guys were working out next to me, and one asks I need a spot, I say no thanks, but if I do Ill give you a holler, he says: cool, np. I get under the bar do two reps, get the 3rd stuck on my chest. I ask the guy for a little lift off....I hear him murmer something to his buddy, most likely "watch this"....he then proceeds to tea bag me...I swear to god, he stood over my face, and basically tea bagged me (with his pants on thank god), while his buddy busts out laughing....he helped me get the bar up, and I was like wtf...but I of course couldnt stop laughing either, as it was a decent gag.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when I ask someone to spot me and they have no idea what they are doing. For all those new to the gym. This is how you generally spot someone unless they tell you otherwise.

1. You and the person being spotted should discuss what the excercise is, if he needs a liftoff, where he wants support, how many reps he is going for, and when he will usually need help.

2. When the person is starting to struggle, and cannot complete the motion, your job is to apply gentle help so that he may just complete the rep. DO NOT start to do the excercise for him. The rep should take considerably more time than the reps where he was capable of doing it himself, and he should be pushing/pulling in full force to get this one done.

3. The person being spotted may want help with the more than the last rep. Maybe the last 2 or 3.

Ok. that is all

[/ QUOTE ]
You are sooo wrong.

This part is ok.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But then comes this:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The spotter should take if you cant lift it, and IMO only let you struggle for a longer time when you are trying to make a new 1 rep PR

Forced reps just isnt the way to train anything other than ones ego. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The spotter should take if you cant lift it, and IMO only let you struggle for a longer time when you are trying to make a new 1 rep PR

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree slightly. It's very situational, but generally I do NOT want help if I'm struggling slightly.

If you're able to do all 5 reps with no effort at all, you're lifting far less weight than you should be. It is very possible (and common!) to be lifting an appropriate weight and having your tempo slow down towards the end of the set.

That, however, doesn't mean that I need someone to come hulking in and start doing BB rows with my bar while I'm trying to finish my set.

I need a spotter to keep me from getting pinned under the bar and dying. Slowing down on the 4th rep as I push through the halfway point isn't pinned & dying.

When I spot, I apply just enough pressure to get the bar moving. The only time you take it is if you're sure the guy can't complete the rep without hurting himself (or complete it at all).

On a similar note, don't you hate it when you're spotting someone and you DO need to take the bar because he clearly can't lift the weight, yet he wants to do more reps? That happened to me once. I forced him to rack and he got mad when I told him I wasn't going to screw up my back doing the exercise for him (so I went and screwed up my back deadlifting instead... *sigh*)
Old 10-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Cookie,
When trying to gain mass and doing hypertrophy workouts the gains are achieved by cummulative exhaustion through sets. By having the spotter lower the training demand for the last rep or two, you can exhaust the muscles more, and recruit more motor groups. This is more gains. For other workouts it may not be appropriate, but there are definite workout programs where having someone assist you on the last 2-3 is ok.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Good post. The worst is the people that help too much and just yank the bar up. Just takes thet punch out of a good workout.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cookie,
When trying to gain mass and doing hypertrophy workouts the gains are achieved by cummulative exhaustion through sets. By having the spotter lower the training demand for the last rep or two, you can exhaust the muscles more, and recruit more motor groups. This is more gains. For other workouts it may not be appropriate, but there are definite workout programs where having someone assist you on the last 2-3 is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
2-3 forced reps is not good for u, is that in every set for u? that u have 2-3 forced reps?
You will tear ur body appart more than u'll train that way.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2-3 forced reps is not good for u, is that in every set for u? that u have 2-3 forced reps?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is usually only for the last 1-2 sets.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree slightly. It's very situational, but generally I do NOT want help if I'm struggling slightly.

<font color="red"> In ur generel training it is ok to struggle to some point, but not so much that u tear ur body, and not in every set </font>
If you're able to do all 5 reps with no effort at all, you're lifting far less weight than you should be. It is very possible (and common!) to be lifting an appropriate weight and having your tempo slow down towards the end of the set.

<font color="red"> Yes yes tempo often goes down. Lets make this about benchpress since it'll be easier to explain.
Yes, the five reps can be way to easy = not good. But 5x5 reps where 2-3 is forced in every set is plain old stupid </font>

That, however, doesn't mean that I need someone to come hulking in and start doing BB rows with my bar while I'm trying to finish my set.

I need a spotter to keep me from getting pinned under the bar and dying. <font color="red"> Exactly, he can catch it if something happens </font> Slowing down on the 4th rep as I push through the halfway point isn't pinned &amp; dying.

When I spot, I apply just enough pressure to get the bar moving. <font color="red"> Im against this for the reasons stated </font> The only time you take it is if you're sure the guy can't complete the rep without hurting himself (or complete it at all).

On a similar note, don't you hate it when you're spotting someone and you DO need to take the bar because he clearly can't lift the weight, yet he wants to do more reps? That happened to me once. I forced him to rack and he got mad when I told him I wasn't going to screw up my back doing the exercise for him (so I went and screwed up my back deadlifting instead... *sigh*)
<font color="red"> Deadlift doesnt screw anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Look at Benedict he just did 425 kg for a new overall World record (outside federations) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
From this weekends MR. Olympia, Gene trying to bench over 1000 pounds (not with IPF certified equipment though...)
http://media.putfile.com/BenchPress25

Somewhere in here I probably should mention my views mainly are powerlifting influenced
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This can be wrong for first week of a progression cyclus, or more commenly dynamic effort days, again powerlifting (strenght) related.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is usually only for the last 1-2 sets.

[/ QUOTE ]Hows ur training for bench for instance? 5x5xyyypuonds or???

Do you get to set of forced in every exercise u make during a workout?