Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 03:09 PM

Default \"Middle Limit Holdem Poker\" by Bob Ciaffone & Jim Brier

I know this is a 2 + 2 site and I've read and own several of the Sklansky/Malmuth books myself. But I just want to put in a plug for Bob Ciaffone's "Middle Limit Holdem Poker" book. From an instructional standpoint it's outstanding, covering every aspect of play with an analysis of dozens of actual hands in every section. It's geared towards intermediate/advanced players that recognize that there is always room for improvement. I just finished reading it and immediately started my second read. Anyone else out there read this book yet, and what do you think?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:01 AM

Default Re: \"Middle Limit Holdem Poker\" by Bob Ciaffone & Jim Brier

This book has been discussed a number of times on the site. You should try searching throgh the archives as there are at least 3 or 4 good and interesting threads about it.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out. I'm fairly new to the site.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:41 PM

No problem. The thread "Ciaffone misses the point" in the Mid-high stakes forum is probably the most recent (and best) of them.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i would do a search in the archives using ciaffone/brier. this site went through that book with a fine toothed comb. lots and lots of discussions about many many examples in the book. i think it would be a great counterpart to the book to seek those threads out. lots of great ideas in those threads. it went on for months. hand after hand.

btw...the consensus was it was a great book, but a little weak-tight in thinking.

b
Old 06-01-2003, 02:21 PM

Thanks to Robk and Bernie for the heads up on the archived discussion on this topic. I completely missed it in the Middle Limit discussion group, assuming it would have been in the books/software section. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse.
My original comments were based on the fact I'm a fairly new low-limit player aspiring to one day move up to middle limits. For someone like me I think the book is perfect. But the discussions were interesting. IMO Malmuth's "6" rating of the book is undeserved, but I guess one must consider the source. I don't think he gives a very convincing argument for that low rating. The other interesting comment was from a poster that stated "Poker books are for losers." I guess he forgets the fact that the Two + Two web site would not exist if not for the publishing company.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:51 PM

Hi Paisano:

When it comes to my ratings, I think you should consider the source. They are very accurate, and I know what I'm talking about. Many people rely on them, and I have been doing these ratings from before I ever published a book.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-01-2003, 03:09 PM

I have been a student of the game for 15 years. I am in the middle of reading the book. After reading the introduction I picked up a ton already. It's an excellent book. I realized immeadiately that in shorthanded pots I was not being aggressive enough trying to pick them up.

Bruce
Old 06-01-2003, 04:31 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i had put in a plug that this book should get book of the year. as no other book that came out that year, that i know of, generated that much discussion about plays of hands. whether right or wrong.

anybook that makes players look that much into their game has got to have something good in it.

Phil h's book will get airtime here also, but for a very different reason.

like i mentioned, the threads were like an extra addition to the book. though i havent read the book yet, i found the threads very informative. actually, one didnt have to really read it as it was just about completely scrutinized on here. hand for hand.

you werent beating a dead horse. many new posters will have missed those threads. nothing wrong with reinvigorating some discussion on them. i mean, we're not exactly tired of answering the AA preflop question. or maybe some of us are [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] haha

have a good one

glad to help point you in the right direction

b
Old 06-01-2003, 09:13 PM

Hello Mason,

I know you know what you are talking about. My "consider the source" comment was referring to the fact you are reviewing a competitor's book, and thus not a totally independent reviewer. If I didn't respect your poker knowledge and writing ability I wouldn't own three of your books, all of which I would rate higher than "6" for what that's worth.

Best Wishes