Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Noobie 4-flush question

.50/1.00 PP Stud hi.

4-flush on 4th street, A-high, four other players. No open pairs, 1 of my suit has shown up so far.

Opener bets I'm second to act. My intention is to be very aggressive with this, but I don't want to lose any callers behind me. I figured I should just call here...whereas if I was last or 2nd last to act, I'd raise.

Good?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Noobie 4-flush question

Perfect, unless you think you can get people behind you to call 2 cold - then raise.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 AM

you know how when you have your big pair and raise to knock people out, and noone folds? This is how you punish them for calling two cold. Go ahead and raise. Watch them call. In a higher stakes game, you would want to call. At these stakes, these fish will call anything.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM

yeah man, jam chips in there and the poker gods will reward you. with so many chances to catch, the payoff will be huge when you hit. if you miss, oh darn. keep pumpin 'em in bay-bee
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 AM

I would raise simply because if you do manage to get heads-up you now might be able to win by simply catching an Ace. If you do get callers you don’t mind since you have a strong drawing hand.

Alternatively you can also call with the intention of 3-betting if 1 of the 2 behind you raises.

With a 4-flush on 4th street, and only 1 of you suit dead and a live Ace you have a very strong hand that can be played either heads-up or multi-way. That’s why arguments can be made for either calling or raising. Just make sure you understand why you would do either one.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise simply because if you do manage to get heads-up you now might be able to win by simply catching an Ace. If you do get callers you don’t mind since you have a strong drawing hand.

Alternatively you can also call with the intention of 3-betting if 1 of the 2 behind you raises.

With a 4-flush on 4th street, and only 1 of you suit dead and a live Ace you have a very strong hand that can be played either heads-up or multi-way. That’s why arguments can be made for either calling or raising. Just make sure you understand why you would do either one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this all goes back to the thread a couple months ago about interpreting 7CSFAP as to whether it says to raise only when you have 2 overcards with your 3-flush or not. Unless you are pretty sure 3-4 people will call, I think you are better off calling to keep people in unless you have an ace and a face here.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for mixing up your play.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM

I agree with Beer - they are going to call anyway, so raise for value.