Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Default live hand versus BobboFitos

Last night I met up with TWP, BobboFitos and his friend to go play at the Broadway club in New York. TWP is roughly along the lines of what I figured, since he had Dov in his aim name I guessed he was part israeli. I had Bobbo pegged for a 30 year old, overweight guy with brown hair. I was off by a little. It felt a lot like a blind date when I met TWP, and then when we met up with Bobbo and his friend it felt even more like a blind double date.

We sat down and played 1-2, an extremely soft game. A player called 150 on the river with an unimproved pair of twos (it was as crazy as it sounds) and another guy cracked TWPs set of aces with queens on a A83 board. The other player called all in on the flop and caught running diamonds.

Preflop: I have 500 and am dealt K10s in the CO. Folded around to me and I raise to 15, the standard raise on the table. Bobbo calls in the big blind.

Flop: (35 or so in the pot) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x. Bobbo checks, I bet 25, he calls.

Turn: an offsuit rag. Bobbo checks, I bet 40. He calls.

River: another offsuit rag. Bobbo bets 80. Do I bluff him here? I really wanted to, but we hadn't been playing too long and I declined here. If I had seen more of his play I might have. I'll post my reasoning in a bit.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: live hand versus BobboFitos

I'm guessing he would do this without an A, suspecting you are just stealing?

Would he fold a pair of aces?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM

My reasoning is that generally you are likely to call a bet from a hand that looks like missed draw. Bobbo knows this yet still bet -> he has strong hand (yeah of course Bobbo can think on higher level than that...). The question is how strong ? I think that if he had very strong hand (like set) he would raise somewhere in hope of winning big pot against your AK (you will not win big pot by checkcalling). His hand looks very much like AK the question is if he can laydown this. I think he can. Bluff is worth a shot here (plus its fun).
Edit : on the other hand there are only 2 hands that beat him (one AA and one KK) if he in fact has AK, so he can call to chop.. I dont know maybe bluff is too risky.

Best wishes
Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing he would do this without an A, suspecting you are just stealing?

Would he fold a pair of aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

stacks are deep, it would be 300 more to call if I pushed. he will fold one pair here.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Bobbo's bet sure looks like a blocking bet (but maybe it was supposed to?). If you have built up a tight image and have the stones for it, you probably could bluff him off his hand here.

ETA: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Bobbo has a decent K that he wants to show down. If he had a decent A he would have led out or checkraised you at some point. If he had some sort of good draw, such as Q-Js, he would have played back at some point.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning is that generally you are likely to call a bet from a hand that looks like missed draw. Bobbo knows this yet still bet -> he has strong hand (yeah of course Bobbo can think on higher level than that...). The question is how strong ? I think that if he had very strong hand (like set) he would raise somewhere in hope of winning big pot against your AK (you will not win big pot by checkcalling). His hand looks very much like AK the question is if he can laydown this. I think he can. Bluff is worth a shot here (plus its fun).
Edit : on the other hand there are only 2 hands that beat him (one AA and one KK) if he in fact has AK, so he can call to chop.. I dont know maybe bluff is too risky.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason I wanted to bluff was that I thought that if he had a good hand which would be more difficult to lay down (two pair or a set) he would have raised somewhere to protect his hand because it is a draw heavy board and there are a lot of scare cards that could come. My CO raising range is pretty big, so from his shoes I could easily have a broadway draw and a flush draw. not fun for him to not protect against.

also, i dont think he lays down AK here at all. maybe, maybe if a draw comes in but probably only the FD.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:21 PM

bobbo at least has the A.

I would wait for better spot but this all depends on your image in his eyes.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bobbo at least has the A.

I would wait for better spot but this all depends on your image in his eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

up until this point I had not played any big pots, just some raises and check folds on bad flops or winning the blinds. I think he has to give my bet a lot of respect here and I certainly have enough money behind. i think he viewed me as solid.

We had another hand where I raised to 15, he reraised to 50 and I raised 200 (40% of my stack) but I'm pretty sure that came after this one.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 PM

His bet actually looks like a bluff to me. If he had a real hand, I would think he would have bet out or c/r the flop or turn to protect it/get value from it. I don't see why he would c/c down and then bet out the river. I don't think raising here is a great idea. You don't mention calling, but did you consider that? I'm not sure I like calling here, but I like that better than raising. I think you might actually have the best hand here.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:54 PM

If hes betting at the end he surely hope for calls from worse hands than his or he is bluffing. Bluff is highly unlikely on this board (I think). This is why I think he has AK (or maybe AQ).
You are right, he is not laying down AK here I mustve been in super weaktight mode when I was writing it.