Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Underage hit jackpot at commerce

A friend of mine who's 19 and was playing without an ID at commerce hit the jackpot the other night at 3/6. He got dealt the bad beat and would've won the most at the table. They asked for everyone's IDs and somehow he talked them into letting him come back tommorow with his ID and social security number and let him carry on playing that night. I'm guessing they only let him carry on playing because he just won the jackpot, they'd usually kick you out in an instant if they ask for ID and you don't show it, right?

Anyway, he hasn't been back since and is worried that he'll get in trouble just for showing up, is there anything that can be done about getting the money besides doing something illegal?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Underage hit jackpot at commerce

I think that he has to let it go. When I was 19 I was in Vegas and hit a slot for 1900 and booked. I had just heard a story of someone who was underage trying to collect and thrown in jail and fined
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30 AM

The only way he can get this money is to provide a fake ID and SSN. That is not only illegal, it probably becomes some sort of tax fraud, since the SSN will be reported to the IRS. Unless there is someone 21 or older who can pose as your friend, I don't see a good way to pull it off.

Then again, maybe their rules on jackpots don't deny payment based on age. He could claim the win, and be booked on underage gambling, which is probably a pretty minor offense. Extortion might work as well. (Disclaimer: not an endorsement.) I'm sure the Commerce wouldn't want to tell the authorities they let Mr. Suspicious continue playing when he probably looks cardable.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:35 AM

not only is he SOL for the Money but he shouldn't go back there period until hes of age.
What happen to being underage and just wanting to get beer...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 AM

oooops.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Hi Sharpie,

I witnessed a similar situation. An acquaintance of mine had brought a couple of friends to Commerce to play. One of them hit a table share (about $200 or so) but was only 19 years old. He actually started WALKING AWAY when the floor came over. His friend simply passed him his ID and offered to go 50/50 with him, and it worked like a charm. The floor didn't even noticed that they were different persons. I didn't think it was going to work, but after I saw him get paid, it is pretty evident that Commerce is poorly run in more ways than one.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM

what your supposed to do is give your brother/cousins name and have them come back the next day... I have seen this done successfully
Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM

I'm so jealous of these youngsters winning the jackpots. I play there all the time and never win anything! Get close a lot though.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Ok so if this guy doesnt go back, do you think they will just pocket the cash or put it back into the beat jackpot?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM

I heard a similar story from a dealer in a local card room. i dont know if it was true or a joke, but aparantly some underage kid won the bad beat jackpot, said he was over 21 and he was going to go home and get his ID. Did not come back that night, came back the next day with his face bandaged, and told the officials that he drove home so fast that he got into a big accident. He then showed an ID that said he was over 21, but of course the officials couldnt get a clear look at his face because of the bandages, and they denied him the money and told him to come back when the bandages are off.

maybe your friend should have tried this?