Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Intersting third street decision

7 Card Stud High-Low (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___???
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

Do you call, fold, or raise and why. Villian raising was somewhat weak.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Intersting third street decision

In actual play, I would fold this without too much thought because 2 hearts are out & 2 baby cards are behind me yet to play. But, I know that I am too tight in this type of situation. If you're going to come in, I think the raise is better than the call. I just hate to committ 2 bets without more hand. I would appreciate other comments here too.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:14 PM

If the villain had a low card, a K or a Q and did this I'd muck immediately. I'd probably muck here anyway, especially with two suited babies dead, but I think that raising him is fine too, since you have overs/3 flush/2 low. Calling would be terrible, especially if you think he'll fold a pair of Jacks on 4th. If you play this pot and win then you get his money, if you play it and lose then he thinks that playing a pair of Jacks is good in this game. You win either way.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm trying to think of the ante structure that makes this correct.

PP .5/1 is .25 ante .25 bring in. If it wasn't for the rake I'm sure it would be correct in that game.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:10 PM

I would fold w/o thinking in this game, but now that I look, I see why you think this is interesting. The only low you have to potentially worry about is the 4 behind you and the bring-in (who nobody gives credit to anyway). So you think it's gonna play for high and therefore the decision is closer than the normal instamuck.

I think I still fold b/c I like to stay out of trouble in this game, but if I play I'm calling. It's likely both 10's will fold and poss the bring in and 4 also. Then if you catch well, you can possibly mess around with the Jack. But I prefer not to really think here and folding seems ok. Depends on my mood and how the game is, I'd be more inclined to play in ur situation against a weaker opponent who won't punish me later.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2005, 04:26 AM

Against tight players, especially those who are weak on later streets (e.g. many 5/10 players), you can scoop a lot of small pots with semi-bluffs. You have to be willing to fire on multiple streets. You must have what Zee calls "good control" over the villian. But, yeah I like raise here.

On further thought, it's not necessary that the player in question be tight, only weak on later streets. Many players with loose starting requirements are weak on later streets (presumably it's conditioning: seeing how often their poor holdings lose).
Old 10-16-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Interesting third street decision

I think that this is a fold, mostly because two hearts are gone, both in the low zone, for that matter. Re-raising to get it heads-up isn't unreasonable, but if you do that, you have a good chance of playing the hand out of position with no pair and a weakish draw. Calling and going for multi-way action is an option, but I don't see that happening with two Tens behind you. Turn one of the dead hearts into a spade or something and I might get involved.

Now when you say the Jack is weak, what does that mean? If it means that he has the tendency to call down with a pair of Jacks no matter what the action, I think that steers this one towards a fold (but makes weakish three-card lows a play in similar circumstances). If it means that he's easily manipulated, you might re-raise, as this will coerce some people to fold two Jacks right away, and against others you can buy the pot on fourth or fifth street.