Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 PM

Default getting paid off when you hit your set

PT says Lars is SLP/Agg, esssss is TP/Agg, but my impression is that both are decent players. Neither have done anything partcularly stupid.

My question is how to make sure I get paid off when my low PP hits a set. Sorry, no hand converter for bet365, but I did my best to clean it up.

(0.10|0.20 No Limit - Bet365)

- Kosar sitting in seat 1 with $51.96
- KevytJartel sitting in seat 2 with $55.90
- Hero sitting in seat 3 with $12.95
- kouha sitting in seat 4 with $18.40
- Lars_P1963 sitting in seat 5 with $29.90
- vegus sitting in seat 6 with $26.15
- rajmando1 sitting in seat 7 with $32.20
- Spiko sitting in seat 8 with $30.85 [Dealer]
- esssss sitting in seat 9 with $17.50
- jarc08 sitting in seat 10 with $20.65

** Dealing card to Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
1 fold, KevytJartel called, Hero called, 1 fold, Lars_P1963 called, 3 folds, esssss completed SB, jarc08 checked BB.

** Dealing the flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
5 checks

** Dealing the turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
esssss bet $0.20, 2 calls, Hero raised to $0.40, 2 folds, 2 calls.

** Dealing the river: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 checks, Hero bet $1.20, 2 folds.

The river pairing doesnt help me any, but I have been having this problem in situations where any rag falls on the river. Should I have called the min bet on the turn? I min-raised because I didn't want to scare him away but a 20c bet just isn't gonna give me my needed implied odds. Maybe I should have called and bet out on the river, because I cut off any bluffs by taking control with the turn raise. My PT stats for 22-88 are almost all negative over 3000 hands.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: getting paid off when you hit your set

they probably had a queen.

nothing you can do there.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:20 PM

No top pair flop feeler bet, a 20c turn bet, followed by a turn raise? I think my river bet reeks of bluffing the 8s because of the turn raise. I would have easily called with a queen.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:24 PM

then you should play against yourself and pay yourself off
Old 10-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Unless someone was slowplaying on the flop then you have no chance. You can't get paid off every time.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM

so you're telling me I'm running cold?

edit: sorry didnt mean for it to come off sarcastically. I'm referring to how my EV for low pocket pairs in PT is mostly negative. Obviously I'm doing something wrong unless i'm just not running into decent hands when I hit. This was just one example that I found, but they are all like this.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Are you trolling?

No I'm not, this is a very simple situation. You hit your hand, nobody else hit there's. You can not get their money this hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 PM

If your opponents don't have much, you probably won't get paid off no matter what you hold. I think given the texture of the board, you overbet the river. No one showed strength going to the river. And people may be afraid of some cards out there (e.g., two broadway or the paired board).

Given that no one showed strength going to the river, unless someone holds an eight, no one is going to call a large bet -- even if they think you're bluffing (because to call a bluff, you have to be able to beat a bluff).

I think you should be value betting on the river rather than than an overbetting.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 PM

Big bet on river is ok if you have a maniac image I think, otherwise you have to bet smaller to get paid off with this board. Players are pretty tigth on primas (bet365) micro, so Im not really surpised you didnt get anything there.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:01 PM

I disagree that a big bet is OK *in this situation* if you're perceived as a maniac.

To call any bet (no matter how crazy you perceive your opponent to be), you need to have a hand that can at least beat a bluff. Granted, if someone has at least a queen and you're perceived to be crazy, then you might get paid off on a large river bet.

However, nothing about this hand indicates that anyone (except the Hero) has anything -- especially given that they checked to the hero on the river. There are three reasons someone might check to the (turn) raiser on the river:

1) they have no hand
2) they have a strong hand (or think they have a strong hand, but really don't) and are planning to check raise -- you should know your opponent well to do this, especially on the river, since you run the risk of the hand getting checked through.
3) they don't have a strong hand and might want to try a check-raise bluff.

All indications point toward making a small bet that will either be called or induce a check-raise.