Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 PM

Default How did Party know its my birthday? (Low content)

A hand like this just has to be a birthday present. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyone else think it is odd that seat 8 did not raise my opening bet on 7'th?

7 Card Stud ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (4.80 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (5.40 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (11.40 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (14.40 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls___raises

Total pot: (26.40 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $261 | Rake: $3

Seat 3: [ 8c 9d 7s Tc Js Jc 4c ] [ a straight, seven to jack -- Js,Tc,9d,8c,7s ]

Hero: [ Qh 7c Qd 3h Qs 8s Qc ] [ four of a kind, queens -- Qh,Qd,Qs,Qc,8s ]

Seat 8: [ Kh Ac 2c Kd As 8h Ah ] [ a full house, Aces full of kings -- Ac,As,Ah,Kh,Kd ]
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: How did Party know its my birthday? (Low content)

On my birthday, Party killed rakeback.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:20 PM

I use the same move that I think seat 8 tried to do here.

When it looks like you are against 2 very strong hands but you have a hand that most likely better than either of them, like aces full, and your sitting in the middle, you let the other guys put in the first 2 bets then you put in your bet if it hasn't been capped yet. It gets it to 3 or 4 bets when raising will probably only get you to 2.

I pretty much play only 2/4 though, not sure how well it plays at the higher limits
Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 PM

go lstream
it's your birthday
go lstream...

love it.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 AM

The reason I don't like seat 8's move is because of the prior action in the hand. I eased up on fifth when I paired my door card queen and was raised. That had to mean that I was giving seat 3 credit for his straight. So on the river when I bet out, what does it mean? It should have said "I am no longer afraid of your straight". If that's the case, there is a real good chance that seat 3 is just going to call, since he should have known I was drawing with trips. I think seat 8 got "lucky" when seat 3 made the mistake of raising - the action could very easily have stopped with my single bet.

Also, if I am seat 8 he should be putting me on a boat. His hand is totally disguised and he has the best boat there is. So he should expect a call at least out of both his opponents, and he should expect a re-raise out of me. So overall, if I was in his position, I would hate to risk seeing the action die after just one bet. I think his call was too risky in this sense.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 AM

I agree with you lstream...

I think preiser was talking about a play like we discussed that was featured in Barry Greensteins book. Not a bad play to think about. I usually just think "I've got aces full, might as well raise!"
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 PM

He's thinking the straight may fold if he raises, whereas he'll surely at least call one bet. So if he raises and the str8 folds and you call he makes the same as he does by just smooth calling, and kills the chance of the str8 raising. So there is some logic to his play. Nice hand.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM

I wish I could get straights to laydown as often as people seem to worry will happen...

And happy birthday Lstream!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 PM

i agree with you but, I dont think he is giving much up by call/raising here if he is ahead. A raise could fold the str8 behind him and unless you hit a huge hand, full or better, hes only getting your call into the pot. The call gets the str8 to at least call getting that bet that he gives up from your call of his raise, but if seat 3 raises he gets it up to at least 3 bets from both you and seat 3.

I don't know that it is the best play but I think it works often enough to at least be as profitable as a raise right away.

correction: Your bet alone may get seat 3 to fold to just the 1 bet, but I still think that the play works here, uless you hit quads of course
Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and unless you hit a huge hand, full or better, hes only getting your call into the pot

[/ QUOTE ]
But in this case it should be clear that I have hit a big hand. Why would I bet trips into a straight? My previous behaviour shows that I believed that he had the straight. It's also a very rare player at these stakes who will fold a straight with a pot this big.