Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM

Default 99 in the big blind heads up against PFR

live 10/20 @ foxwoods. the table is very loose passive, generally 5-8 to the flop for usually one bet. villain in this hand is the only other tightish player at the table but looser than me, probably like a 30-35is VPIP player, and one of the more aggressive players at the table. I have seen him raise the flop and then bet AK unimproved all the way down. I have a very tight image, and I have been pushed out of a couple of pots by villain.

folds to villain in Hijack, who raises, folds to me in the big blind with 99 and I call.

Flop:
[4.5 SB] T83 rainbow, I check raise, villain 3bets, I call.

Turn:
[5 BB] (T83)Q

I plan on calling down, unless the river is A/K in which case I check/fold.

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: 99 in the big blind heads up against PFR

Well, your check/raise didn't seem to slow down the villain and the turn card sucks. I would just fold the turn and move onto the next hand. Looks like you're at a good table and will certainly find better spots in the future
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM

3-bet preflop?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is the best idea being out of position??
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is the best idea being out of position??

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, it's what I do usually so I'm looking to see if others agree.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

i play the 10/20 game at foxwoods and im thinking you 3-bet this guy PF, representing something of strength. with one overcard on the flop your hand is looking strong, and he is correct to raise with two overs and two cards to come, something like AK, KQ, KJ, QJ etc.

given that information i am betting the flop aggressively to take control of the hand. when the Q comes off, checking gives him control and once you check you might as well toss your hand into the muck and wait for the next hand. if the river doesnt bring an A or a K im coming at him.. just hope he doesnt reveal something like 10-J, but my suggested pre-flop re-raise should slow down someone w/ 10-J.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously considered this, and if I thought he was raising lighter I would have. Another person mentioned JT, if I thought JT was in his range I definitely would have 3bet but dont think that was the case. I was thinking something like ATs+/A8+/KJ+/66+.

being OOP I think there was a good chance I would get pushed off the best hand postflop, which is why I didn't 3bet. I'm not sure that is solid reasoning though.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:21 PM

From your description, it appears this seat has been bullying you around. I would probably make this a statement hand against the player. If an Ace came I wouldn't tuck my tail, I would probably raise and if he folded show him my hand. Win or lose though, I plan on letting him know that I'm not a weak seat.

PF: I 3-bet.
Flop: Since I didn't 3-bet, I simply check-call here.
Turn: Again, I'm just C/Cing since I didnt take the lead to begin with and this isn't a card I feel there's an angle on.
River: If it's an ace, I'm CRing. If it's a J I'm leading out fast. If it's anything else, I C/C.

- Jim
Old 10-12-2005, 04:04 PM

I would only 3-bet PF if I thought there was any way he'd fold to an undercard flop. Otherwise, I'd probably call. I don't see much value in a c/r on the flop; I'd take this to be a situation where I'd c/r a safe card on the turn, and c/f a card like the one that came.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM

I know people hate pre-flop discussion but I think the need to three-bet here pre-flop is really important.

1. You are playing an aggressive player who apparently has already established the ability and desire to push you around. Calling in here and allowing him to play the pot with initiative and position is exactly what he wants you to do. This is a great situation, to use the parlance of our times, to "grow a sack."

2. With villain likely raising really light here, you may have a complete value raise here if villain does not have two overcards or has a small pair.

3. Raising here puts the onus on your opponent to make a pair. This is important. By three-betting you put it in villain's head that your hand is probably better than his and that he needs to improve to win. This may well prevent him from making aggressive bluffs and pressure bets, which is what has been hurting you against this player and which will make the hand substantially easier to play. It will be very helpful here to give off the message that you have no intent to go anywhere in this hand.

As played, the flop check-raise is nice. For metagame reasons I think there are a lot of reasons why this might be a situation to make a loose call-down.