Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Default 30-60 Stud8 Hand...Still Learning

So there might be nothing to this hand, but who knows? How did I play it?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (8.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.00 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.00 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.00 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (9.00 BB)

Results in White (Respond first por favor)

<font color="white"> Results:
Total pot $540 | Rake $3

Seat 2: [5s Qs 3s 8s Ac Kd Qc] (HI: a pair of Queens)

Hero: [Kh Ks 5h 8d 5c Ah Jh] (HI: two pair, Kings and Fives) </font>
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: 30-60 Stud8 Hand...Still Learning

I think you played it fine. Definitely want to reraise on third and try to get it HU with that T. Once the BI reraises though I get kind of scared. I would probably fold fifth though if you didn't have two pair bc he is most likely free rolling on you. Since he didn't reraise you on fifth or sixth though, it makes me think that you scopped this hand and that he had a med-high pp in the hole (I haven't looked yet)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 AM

Third is good.

I would check call 4th as you did against some opponents, but I would bet against others. The way I have seen some hands in that game played I am leaning towards betting 4th. Betting 5th is kinda silly. I would assume you are going to be raised there 97% of the time and have to call down with two pair while any sane player probably has more than a couple outs to scoop you.

Given the the way 5th played I definitly bet 6th, and bet 7th and call a raise. After the way 5th, and 6th played out I would assume you are up against a lone pair of QQs, JJs, or something else that Ks up beats. This hand is a little player dependent though, I have seen some players play split 9s in that game like they have rolled As.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 AM

I like all of it except fifth street. What do you put the other guy on?

If he has a made low, he's free-rolling.

If he was rolled, you're hurting.

If he has pocket Aces, you're hurting.

If he has four to a low with a pair of Aces, you're a money dog.

What else can he have? Maybe the other two Kings. If he three-bet with a three-card low, the Eight certainly didn't pair him. Because you improved, you should check and call. If you had blanked off, you would have to think about folding, even though the pot is pretty substantial.

Since he didn't raise your ass on fifth, he probably has the Aces with a low draw, making you a small favorite on sixth, so you can go ahead and bet. I think you can only chicken-call the river, though.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since he didn't raise your ass on fifth, he probably has the Aces with a low draw, making you a small favorite on sixth, so you can go ahead and bet. I think you can only chicken-call the river, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldnt raise 5th with aces and four-low? I know that given the way jeffage played the hand I am going to raise 5th with aces and a four-low everytime.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Well, I know I'm a dog to two pair. If Jeff has four to a low and a pair of Fives, I'm a favorite, but not a big favorite, and maybe I give Jeff credit for not betting that hand into what could easily be a made low. So no, I don't raise with Aces and four to an Eight on fifth when Jeff bets his open Fives into me.

What do you think the other guy has that should make Jeff want to bet fifth street?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 AM

ahhhhh

I guess if jeffage bets into you with his board he almost has to have something bigger than 5s and four-low and it would be incorrect to raise then with As and four-low. I was looking at the situation earlier from a different(wrong) perspective.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 AM

I'm having troubling putting him on a hand. On third, I put him on QQ-AA (with a low or trips he wouldn't want to knock out the ten, no?).

Very interested to hear your thinking on fifth. Third street aside, this is a standard check/call.

Edit after seeing results: did you know he was a maniac?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM

Honestly, I don't have a good grasp on this game (unlike stud high)...let's get that out of the way right now. I'm basically playing using card sense and my skim of Ray's book (actually, I've read it but maybe it all didn't sink in and I think I need to read it again at some point if I'm so motivated).

My thinking on 5th is...if he started with a good low on 3rd, the ace probably gave him a pair of aces and didn't improve his low chances (but did improve his shot at high obv). So I bet figuring to charge him if he was still going for low or in case I misread his hand and he has some kinda pocket pair or started with a 3-flush or who knows. But that was my thinking, probably flawed.

As for my read of him, I don't know any of these monkeys that play split on there, but let's just say this type of super aggro play w/ unexpected holdings is kinda typical. Comments on all this appreciated, I'm sure you play this game better than I do.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM

I check call 5th
bet out on 6th
bet out on 7th