Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Elephant (HBO)

Has anybody seen this movie and have a comment on it? I'm watching it as I speak and I'm blown away by how stupid Hollywood has become. They stereotyped everything perfectly to the point that if there were a single minority involved in the plot line (which there is not), it would be hailed as the most prejudice/racist movie of all time.

The three white girls are all throwing up in the bathroom together. The two evil gunmen end up being gay somehow. They watch 3rd Riech movies on History and buy a complete arsenal of guns online (oh yeah, fully auto guns and grenades are easily available online and we really need to implement new gun laws).

This movie could have been moving and important, instead it turned into a partisan bullsh.it fest. I am not usually upset by stuff like this, but today I feel like I'm seeing Hollywoodism at its finest.

Does anybody else have anything about this movie? Oh man, here comes the end....lemme guess, the black dude saves the day.

-JOTR
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Elephant (HBO)

And if you watch this and don't pick up the reference to Eminem via one of the bad guys, you're closing your eyes and ears.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:42 PM

First off, although it's HBO, it's really Gus Van Sant -

Gus was doing a death trilogy - death at the hands of a friend, death at the hands of a stranger, this is one of those films (the stranger one, actually) -

I thought the way he filmed it was cool - kept replaying certain times over and over from different points of view - I dug it.

RB
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, although it's HBO, it's really Gus Van Sant -

Gus was doing a death trilogy - death at the hands of a friend, death at the hands of a stranger, this is one of those films (the stranger one, actually) -

I thought the way he filmed it was cool - kept replaying certain times over and over from different points of view - I dug it.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Lemme rephrase my semi-drunk, mostly-angry phraseology. I actually thought the movie (insofar as the directing, acting, and especially cinematography) was rather well done. Unfortunately, there was WAY too much of a "hidden" message.

My gf, who is lovingly ignorant at times (and only recently got her citizenship, with english being her second language), actually said "if its in the movie, it has to be pretty easy to get fully-auto guns online." I threw up. In my mouth. A little.