Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Default AA Facing Deepstack, Scary Turn (100NL 6-max)

This turn scared the [censored] outta me.

Villain in this hand is 66/15/1.8 over 100 hands. My only note on him says he'll defend his blind by calling down all the way w/ anything.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($145.85)
Button ($495.37)
SB ($110.95)
BB ($93.85)
UTG ($134.55)
MP ($86.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, Button calls $9.

Turn: ($27.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $30</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $57.50

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: AA Facing Deepstack, Scary Turn (100NL 6-max)

It is possible that he is playing a scare card, and attacking the weakness you have shown by checking the turn. I would have lead the turn for $15-20, and folded to a decent re-raise. As it stands you should probably fold.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:52 AM

I'd protect my vulnerable hand on the turn by leading for 3/4 to full pot with the plan of folding to a raise. By checking the turn you have basically turned on the green light for anyone that is half-awake to steal this.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:01 PM

bet again on the turn, fold to a raise. check/fold the river unimproved.

checking the turn is just giving the pot away to him...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Villain actually showed 44, so yes I really [censored] this one up.

So I should have bet again on the turn, but would a half pot bet be enough? Or do I have to fire for 3/4 to full pot there?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I should have bet again on the turn, but would a half pot bet be enough? Or do I have to fire for 3/4 to full pot there?

[/ QUOTE ]

opponent dependent.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opponent dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, cool, so what bet would be optimal against this opponent (generally bad pre and post flop)? What about an average TAG player?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opponent dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, cool, so what bet would be optimal against this opponent (generally bad pre and post flop)? What about an average TAG player?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 pot is usually enough to prevent a bluff but good hand readers will come over the top anyways.

this sort of bet is kind of interesting because you aren't trying to convince him you have the straight as its highly unlikely based on your likely pfr range but rather you are trying to tell him you are married to your TPTK/overpair and he doesn't have fold equity.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:37 AM

despite what others say (like "betting to protect vs being blown out of the best hand!") this was well played. you played it fine, villain played it a little better.

If you want to bet the turn - you still will lose a good amout... If called, you could still be beating KQ/AQ/underpair putting you on AK, but think of hand ranges... The turn hit alot of hands he could have (pair + draw) and you're not beating much. If villain will fire with any 2 you can check/call and block (if he'd bet 1pair and pay off) but mostly it's spewage. Plus if yu bet saying you'll fold to a raise, villain doesnt have to raise a straight here, so then yu lose more when your river block gets raised (or check/calling a bet, which is pretty bad too)

Anyway, good fold, he just HAPPENED to have air here. Keep in mind though on this board... 3 queens, 4 jacks, 4 nines, = 11 bad cards. you bet the pot. He doesnt win this pot unless one of those scare cards (or his 2 actual set outs appear) so you charged him 2:1 to draw at a ~13:32 where if he wants to outplay you (when a blank/ten/eight) you win more money on those cards. (of if he calls a turn bet on a blank for 2 outs..)

Villain paid for a scare card (didn't have odds for it) and utilized position to win the hand. Dont sweat it.