Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Free showdown play with middle pair from the BB

SB thus far seems to be weak-tight, although not a rock. After ~100 hands, he's about 18/5. We've had one previous encounter, where he open-limped A4 from the SB, Bet/Called a 653 flop (I had hit top pair), Check/Called a turn Q, and Checked the river (I checked behind).

So I know he'll lead out with a draw, I think he'll lead out with 2 overcards (probably not raising pre-flop with just one OC seeing as he open-limped A4 once), and I think he'll lead out with a lower PP as well.

My first instinct was to raise the flop (my default play). I waited for the turn because I felt he would lead out with a draw and 2 OCs here again (am I wrong to think that even a weak-tight player would do this?). This allows me to extract value from the draw on a safe turn card, and extract one more bet out of a lower PP. Also, I think he will fold to my raise a reasonable amount of the time, although the only hand I can think of that I'd push him off is TT.

I think I would definitely do this against a more aggressive player who would probably bet the flop & turn with only a single overcard. Bad?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Free showdown play with middle pair from the BB

why check the river? I think you should value bet it here.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 PM

What is weak-tightie calling me with that I beat?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:33 PM

I am raising the flop and seeing how he responds. If he just calls I am firing again on the turn. If he raises, I am calling and folding if I do not improve on the turn.

I have found that with small pots it is not worth calling down to the river with second pair if my opponent shows strength. I consider this a major leak in my game.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a "normal" hand, this is the war of the blinds. Even weak-tight players loosen up and get more aggressive here.
He'll call you with any small pocket pair, a 9 with a worse kicker. Hell, he might even call you with A high.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Q9, T9s, maybe even 98s/97s depending on how liberally he calls from the blind with suited stuff. Sometimes a medium pocket pair might look you up.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 PM

i usually just call down and bet when checked to. they call with A high, occasionally K high.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Whoa, man I'm surprised by the response I'm getting here. I'm expecting a PP smaller than my 9s to fold to my turn raise, and even if I didn't raise, I wouldn't expect to get another bet out of him (small chance if I call the turn, then he check/calls the river).

I can't see him raising with any of those hands with a 9 pre-flop if he only calls with A4.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see him raising with any of those hands with a 9 pre-flop if he only calls with A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was originally going to say 'bet the river' as well, but yeah I think this is a key point people are overlooking...if he open limps from the SB with an Ace it's hard to see him calling with a worse hand here. This type of player really puts a wrench into things and makes the hand more difficult to play IMO. It's not an ideal spot for a FSP, but it may not be a bad play given your read. Usually bet the river though.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM

my terminology sucks, but this is a "float", no?