Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Default 88 in BB HU against a pud

I've played lots of fixed, micro, and am new to NL. I have yet to read a NL book, and have been doing a trial-by-fire. The nickel and dime tables have been an experiment for me. I have found these tables to be very soft. Often have seen one player push all-in with overcards, and a caller with a draw.

Villain is has been tightish, very aggressive pre-flop (25/20), but his post-flop play has been poor in my observation. He's been mostly stealing blinds wth his big pf raises. In one hand, he called an all-in bet on the river with a 99x9A board with JTs--went to the river with no pair, no draw. In an earlier hand with me, we were HU on the an Ace-high rainbow flop, when I checked to him with a mid-pair, and he pushed all-in. Decided not to call, waiting to trap him with a better hand. Also, the guy has been a jerk, berating the table for being lucky and the players were "rookie." In my mind he was talking too much. This would not be the ideal hand, but I felt good about my read:

FullTilt .05/.10 NL (<font color="red">8-handed</font>)
Villain ($10.75)
Hero ($11.60)
[other stacks from $2-15]

Pre-flop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Folded to Villain in MP2, who <font color="red">raises to $.75</font>. Folded to Hero, who calls.

Flop: ($1.55) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="red">Hero bets $1.55</font>. <font color="red">Villain raises $10 (all-in)</font>.

This seemed like an overbet. If the guy had anything of a hand, he'd be trying to extract my chips from me not force me out. Am I right?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: 88 in BB HU against a pud

people that play this way also sometimes get cards, and the way they play, they will typically play big hands the same way and expect to get calls. That being said, there are a lot more hands he'll probably go all in with than 99-AA....i'd expect to see a draw of some sort a lot of the time....
Old 10-08-2005, 01:08 PM

I call.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:18 PM

The way you describe the game and villain's previous actions, I do not see how you can consider folding an option. Hope he did not turn over 2 overcards with a flush draw.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played lots of fixed, micro, and am new to NL. I have yet to read a NL book, and have been doing a trial-by-fire. The nickel and dime tables have been an experiment for me. I have found these tables to be very soft. Often have seen one player push all-in with overcards, and a caller with a draw.

Villain is has been tightish, very aggressive pre-flop (25/20), but his post-flop play has been poor in my observation. He's been mostly stealing blinds wth his big pf raises. In one hand, he called an all-in bet on the river with a 99x9A board with JTs--went to the river with no pair, no draw. In an earlier hand with me, we were HU on the an Ace-high rainbow flop, when I checked to him with a mid-pair, and he pushed all-in. Decided not to call, waiting to trap him with a better hand. Also, the guy has been a jerk, berating the table for being lucky and the players were "rookie." In my mind he was talking too much. This would not be the ideal hand, but I felt good about my read:

FullTilt .05/.10 NL (<font color="red">8-handed</font>)
Villain ($10.75)
Hero ($11.60)
[other stacks from $2-15]

Pre-flop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Folded to Villain in MP2, who <font color="red">raises to $.75</font>. Folded to Hero, who calls.

Flop: ($1.55) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="red">Hero bets $1.55</font>. <font color="red">Villain raises $10 (all-in)</font>.

This seemed like an overbet. If the guy had anything of a hand, he'd be trying to extract my chips from me not force me out. Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my estimation, villain has 1 of 3 hands: a real hand that beats yours where he is looking to get paid off by someone taking a stand; overcard clubs; air.

Against a real hand (pocket pair 99+), you are drawing to 2 outs and win 15% of the time. Against overcard clubs, you win 48% of the time (slight dog here). Against air, assuming he has overcards, you win 77% of the time.

Now, what percent of the time Villain will hold each type of hand, is certainly up for discussion. For me, I say Villain has a real hand that is killing yours 1/4 of the time, overcard clubs 1/2 the time, and overcard air 1/4 of the time.

You have to call $8.45 to win 13.10, which means you need to win 39.2% of the time. Going by my range for villain, you will win about 47% of the time, making this a solid +EV CALL.