Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Playing the big stack

Do you guys have any tips on how to play the big stack at the table? Blinds are 75/150 right now, and I've got about 8K, next highest is 5.3 K (two to my left). Any suggestions. I seem to be having very little luck stealing blinds (except when I'm UTG+1 with KK). There's about 600/2000 left, 220 pay. A PP 10+1. I usually play the big stack for value. Bet when I've got the goods, cuz it's a long time before the blinds can touch me. Also, my c-bets haven't been doing much either, I'd probably have an extra 1500 chips if I hadn't tried that a few times about a half hour ago. I didn't overdo it, just a reasonable amount. Still a lot of the same people at the table as then, so reluctant to try it again.

Thanks,
Will
Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Playing the big stack

Go read "The antology of 2+2 wisdom" posted at the top of the multi-table forum thread. There are plenty of threads discussing big stack play posted there. Lots of it great advice.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Playing the big stack

To me bullying with a big stack is all about picking the spots. Position is important but you should also have a read on who is weak and able to lay down. Pick on middle stacks that have enough to loose but can't hurt you too much.

Know the inflection points. There are certain points where the tournament will tighten up. The current level is a little too early for me.

I don't play too many $10 tournaments but my impression is that they play pretty loose. Early in a loose tournament is probably better to play for value as you normally do. My guess is that you will often get paid off inspite of your tight image when you have something.

Image is important too. I prefer to bully after I have shown the goods but with you're damaged image you need to tighten up.