Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Autoraise is it?

Been here for a couple of orbits, and villain seems a tad loosish preflop (yes, thats all i got, i suck i know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Now im always on autoraise in the following situation, but i started to question wether this is appropiate on the following board with this specific hand ...

I get A8 of spades in the button,

Preflop:
utg folds, villain limps, folded to me, i raise, both blinds fold

Flop comes:
6s 5s 3c

He checks, i bet my nutflushdraw , he calls

Turn comes: Ad

He bets(i have no read yet on this betpattern), I raise ....

why would i raise this turn? Why would i not want to raise this turn?

ps. 3/6 is the limit by the way..

EDIT: in bold
Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Autoraise is it?

sorry for bumping: too easy or too hard, wich is it?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 PM

I'll give it a try...

I think this might be a good raise. You've got top pair with a solid draw to the nuts. Villian could have a flush draw he's pumping too, or he could have an Ace that may or may not have you beat. If he has an A, but no flush draw, he might not pay an extra bet off on the river if the flush comes. So say you call the turn and your flush comes on the river. Villian could check/call you with an A or a baby flush, so you get 2BB. If you raise the turn, he may check to you on the river, giving you the option for a free showdown if you don't think your kicker is good, or check/call if your flush comes in, so you potentially get 3BB when ahead, or lose 2 if you're behind.

I just went back and reread your post. You said he's a tad loosish, so I think he would raise an A with a kicker higher then yours. He could have picked up 2 pair with something like A5 or A6. I think I still like the raise.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Pump it uppppp.

You are in one of the best HU situations ever. Usually ahead, and definitely drawing to the nuts.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pump it uppppp.

You are in one of the best HU situations ever. Usually ahead, and definitely drawing to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
He said he's loosish preflop, but we dont' have a postflop aggrression read.

That said, say he calls the turn after you raise. The flush doesn't hit on the river.

He checks, do you value bet or check behind?

If he donks the river, you obviously call.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pump it uppppp.

[/ QUOTE ]
He said he's loosish preflop, but we dont' have a postflop aggrression read.

That said, say he calls the turn after you raise. The flush doesn't hit on the river.

He checks, do you value bet or check behind?

If he donks the river, you obviously call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the river card. Is it a 2, 4, 7? Those I don't bet.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Okay, now if i told you i just spoke a friend of mine on the phone who is 40/80 paradise and a 100/200 party regular (and winning [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) and he told me you don't probably don't want to raise this turn! (he also considers limping behind preflop by the way wich was kinda new to me). His thinking may still be wrong despite his credentials of course, but to me it really sounded great. Ill post his reasoning later on, partially because i want to quote him right and some stuff is pretty over-my-head at this point so i need to call him again to get it exactly dead-on; partially because i hope just this bit of extra info will put some low-stakes players into the thinktank and try to philosiphise (is this english? im not by the way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) why he makes this statement, and not just nod along. My own reasoning will come along with it, be it true or false. Enjoy?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:29 PM

I could see not raising the turn and waiting for the river. It's not a horrible spot to do it in and I understand the reasoning behind it.

But, readless post-flop, you are giving up too much when you have this awesome equity not to raise. I need to be comfortable at least having a general idea of his postflop play before I don't raise this turn.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:34 PM

This is an easy raise and an easy river value bet on a safe card or a spade.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Just realized this is $3/6.

I take it back. Not raising the turn sucks.

If I was in a $20/40 game against a thinking player I might wait until the river. But not here.