Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Question about mid pairs or 9s,10s

I'm in a microlimit tournament. I'm in the cutoff and look down at either 8s,9s, or 10s. There are 2 limpers in front of me that have called for 20 (blinds are 10/20...it's 7 minutes in the tournament and blinds move to 15/30 in 8 minutes). My chip stack is at 1,450.

What is a correct play here? Is a raise to 100 too much? 80? 60? Do some people call here?

This is always a question I seem to have. I've been making it 100 and getting a bunch of callers only to have to fold on the flop when it comes something like A J 6.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Question about mid pairs or 9s,10s

And for that guy about how is the table playing, well it seems like they want to see a flop of flops and overplays suited cards and A-rag. From the 6-7 minutes it seems like they aren't too different from the usual $3 buyin crowd.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:41 PM

No math to back this up, but I'm a pretty good micro player, and I limp 99 or TT here and try to hit a set, because you'll probably get someone's stack if you do.

Now, JJ, I raise 4xBB + 1xBB for each limper.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 PM

I think this is a good approach. The other option with 9s and Ts would be a larger raise to discourage callers. Maybe to about 120 or so. I like the limp though - you're probably going to get the SB and BB along with the 2 limpers, so you're going to have great implied odds if you hit the flop.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:52 PM

You're probably better off limping here. Typically you'll have a hard time playing a flop with overcards, and you're opponents don't usually fold top pair ever, so with a raise to 100 or so and a continuation bet, you've committed a good portion of your stack and don't really have much chance of winning the pot.

But if you hit a set, you're hand is probably disguised, and those same guys who can't fold top pair will pay you off big time.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. At one point do you then start raising these hands in a similar position, with an average chip stack still. At the 25/50 level to 200?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM

In these tournaments, raises to 3x the BB are much better. If someone is calling 3x, they're calling 4x, and with these hands it's better to see a flop while still limiting the field.

I like limping in this spot unless you want to push and try to pick up the dead money. Sets are absolutely ridiculous in these small tournaments.

25/50 is a good time to start raising and getting some respect on the raises. 100/200 you can really push these hands.