Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Playing when you miss. A few hands.

OK in the realms of me trying to improve shorthanded play a few senarios for consideration.

Villain is 60/4/1 he will play any 2 suited or any ace for 2 cold as well as the usual suspects. If he sees the flop he will always call a single flop bet and will call the turn with any pair, ace or decent draw. On the river he will call down with ace high or any pair but will fold a missed draw. He is weak/passive but will always bet if checked to HU. He will only raise with TPTK or better.

1. You are UTG+1 and get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], folded to you, you raise villain calls 2 cold, SB & BB fold.

Flop 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]t [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You bet he calls.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You bet he calls. What now? Do you fire again at the river UI? Or is this chip spewing if he will call even with ace high?

2. k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] again you raise from UTG+1 and the loose button calls.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Any hand your opponent can reasonably have could fit into this flop. The board is draw heavy and this any ace player could have you drawing very thin. You have two backdoor draws and your K & J could be good. What is your plan for the hand?

3. You are on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folded to you. You raise and our friendly villain calls from the BB.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, you bet he calls,

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, you bet he calls

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks, you?? One last stab?

4. You are on the button with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folded to CO who limps you raise, villain in BB calls as does limper.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Check, check, bet, call, fold.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

How does the rest of the hand go? Keep value betting unless our passive friends shows some balls and raises?

That is it for for now. I want to be clear that this post is made an unashamed attempt to improve my fledgling game but would hope that others could derive something from it as well. If it offends anyone for me to be so blatent then I apologise for that was not my intent.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Playing when you miss. A few hands.

1. You said he will call down with any pair or A high. Clearly then, you can only lose money if you bet. Since he only got to the river with an A, pair, or decent draw, you can call his HU autobet because of the number of draws on the board.

2. bet/fold, bet/fold, check/call or check/fold depending on board texture.

3. Same as #1. If you bet, you lose as he's only calling with hands that beat you (except Qx).

4. bet/fold the turn, bet/fold the river if it's less than a 7 or pairs the board, check/call the river if it's bigger than a 7.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Playing when you miss. A few hands.

1. I would check/fold the river, maybe check/call if he's known to throw out bets

2. Bet flop, hope the ace scares him, if not, check/fold the turn, and if it gets to the river, either bet/fold, or check/call

3. I check the turn with live outs, especially if this is aguy who doesnt understand the concept of scare cards...you are just wastin bets here, as your hand has very little showdown value

4. I bet until I get raised, and then I fold