Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Bankroll ?

What is the correct NL ring to play with a bankroll at 5k? I have been playing 1/2 at paradise and once in a while after a tourny win i get the guts to play 3/5 nl on there.... Should i stick too 100nl/200nl only... im thinkin 500nl is out of my league until around 10k... thoughts?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Bankroll ?

[ QUOTE ]
What is the correct NL ring to play with a bankroll at 5k? I have been playing 1/2 at paradise and once in a while after a tourny win i get the guts to play 3/5 nl on there.... Should i stick too 100nl/200nl only... im thinkin 500nl is out of my league until around 10k... thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question needs clarification:

Are you a winning player?
What is your win rate per 100 hands in the $1/$2 NL game?
How many hands is this for (how many have you played total to achieve this win rate)?
Are you playing for fun, or trying to support yourself?

If you not suporting yourself from poker winnings, are a proven winner with over 20,000 hands and see a win rate of more than 4x the big blind per 100 hands, you need a minimum bankroll of 30X the buy-in.

This also assumes that your standard deviation is below 15x your average win rate per 100 hands. If it is much higher, you should have a higher bankroll to leave yourself with a risk of ruin below 5%.

So, if you just wanted the short answer, you can play the $200NL game and keep that low ROR if you are a winning player as outlined above. Personally, I play to a minimum of 30 buy-ins, and usually 50.

Good Luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]