Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 PM

Default UB Sunday 200 - Tough Decision, or is it?

A buddy of mine was in his first Sunday 200, and an interesting hand came up. 125 players left, started w/ 610, bubble is at 80 players. Blinds 200-400 50 ante. Avg stack is 11k. Full table. Hero is BB Villian is in 5th spot after the blinds. Villian has been aggresive and willing to make moves. Hero is normally a rock, but he went on a rush from 2-16k in the last hour so his image is probably fairly loose.

Pre-flop
Villain has 19k and min raises to 800.
Hero is in BB w/ Qs Qc and smooth calls.

Flop Js Ts 9s.
Hero checks
Villian bets 1200
Hero raises to 3600
Villain flat calls

Turn Js Ts 9s 4h
Hero bets 4000
Villian min raises to 8000.
Hero ??????

The pot is 21,500. You have about 8,000 left w/ an overpair/ open ended straight flush draw but its 4000 more to call which is half your stack.

Please let me know your action/ and give an analysis of all streets if neccesary. I will post my thoughts/results in a few days. Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: UB Sunday 200 - Tough Decision, or is it?

You've left out quite a bit of information here. I'm guessing you're at a full table. What is the Villian's position at the table? Do you have any reads on the villian?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM

i think you played it too.. soft i guess.. 1) i dont like the call PF, reraise him. 2)i'd probably lead out on the flop and hope he raises me if so i puh... 3) bet more on the turn.. and push his min raise.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM

depending on villians position i dont mind a smoothcall here with these stacks. only thing i would do differently would be to bet more and looking at hero's stack i think that might be a push
Old 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Yeah, holy crap I'm trying so hard to get all in on this flop. I think this is a remarkably passive way to play QQ. I like the reraise preflop and leading the flop with the intention of getting all in if reraised or called.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 PM

I updated post to include pos.

Villian was in 5th pos after the blinds and aggresive.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:54 PM

yea i think i would reraise pf given heros image and villians image. if u do reraise then you have to lead at this flop cuz it will look like a c-bet. since he smoothcalled pf i like the CR. i think if u CR a little more on flop you can get away with pushing on the turn
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM

How many outs do you need these days?
9 Spades, 3 Kings, 3 Eights, 2 queens = 17 outs

I think a Queen in this situation puts you in a bad spot (open straight up high side), but he may conceivably have 2 pair.

I'd say with half your chips in the middle you might as well AI, no reason not to with 17 outs that improve your hand.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM

I like pushing the turn instead of betting about half the pot. I'm loving your hand still though as I think you have a good number of outs against most of his hands.

I'm hating your turn bet though. You have about 12,000 going into the turn with a pot of 8,000. Betting 4,000 is too small. I'd look to bet the pot or push it all in. If you bet the pot you're obviously going all in regardless but I think there's a good chance you have the best hand and pushing in may fold some hands that a bet of 7,000 or 8,000 may sucker into seeing one more card with bad odds.

After the min raise back from him on the turn though I'm pushing this and hoping for a beautiful straight flush river card!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: UB Sunday 200 - Tough Decision, or is it? RESULTS

My buddy used up most of his clock before pushing and the villian showed KQ no spades. A blank hit and he went out.

- My thoughts. Its a tough spot bc a call cripples you so that gets ruled out. However, a min raiser here appears to be begging for a call. A made flush, straight w/ a flush draw, or AJ KJ w/ a flush draw appear logical. Theres no way I even consider min raising 2 pair, KQ or 78 w/ no spades. I don't like the predicament but w/ over 2:1 odds and the draw I guess you need to push.

- However, I do think the VILLIAN misplayed the turn. With no spade, he is giving odds for A of spades, rag to draw to the flush.

Thanks for the help. greatly appreciated.