Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 AM

Default An interesting AA hand

I observed this, hand is 5/10 nl if it matters. It is related to reverse implied odds, and kind of works on what the last poster was saying.

There are two limpers. Hero has AA, raises to 7 bb. In an unusual twist, he gets 5 callers (don't say raise more, this is normally going to get a heads up pot or steal the blinds in this game).

Flop comes 589r. Limper A bets out for 1/3 the pot. Limper B calls.

Hero - ? I have my own ideas about what i think is the right play but just want to see some other people's opinions.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: An interesting AA hand

with that info I call
Old 10-04-2005, 06:01 AM

In the hope that what? About half the deck is scary on the turn, there are players to act after you, and if a rag falls and one of the first two players in bets again, what's your move?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:36 AM

call, fold, raise

not folding,
some % of time not raising,
this leaves call.

are we assuming zero history, no reads
Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 AM

Stack sizes would be good.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:31 AM

Stack sizes are roughly 100 bb all round, the important actors in the hand have 100 bb anyway. The only reason I can see to call is to whack a rag turn really hard if the action only develops 3 way. This might be better than raising, if the flop is perhaps, 2 to a suit and there could be people on draws.

Assuming no real reads, its often too hard to get reads on all relevant players, especially with players to act afterwards.

BTW: To whoever said, this cannot be a fold, why? Do you really think your hand is good with an underbet, a call, and players to act after you on that board? And when the money goes in, you are almost surely beat (disclaimer: personally if i was in this hand i would raise it the pot without thought).
Old 10-04-2005, 11:05 AM

I always thought one of the reasons for raising, or re-raising preflop was to limit the number of drawing hands. Of course AA plays better HU than against 5 players trying to flop the nuts. IMHO better to take the blinds than have five players see the flop.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 AM

Easy raise here. 1/3 the pot could easily be a feeler bet, and the call signifies essentially nothing-it could be an oesd, some guy with TT figuring the bet's small enough that he can "play poker" on the turn, or any other speculative call based on pot odds (you see KQ and AK-type hands call this quite often).
Unfortunately the pot's bloated so you have to be careful not to commit yourself. I say make it 500-this cuts any draw's outs but I think I could fold to a reraise from original bettor as if he goes all-in he would be doing so with a player between me and him so obviously he's confident in his hand.