Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 11:59 PM

Default How bad is this call ($2 NLHE)

Guy who reraised behind me had reraised me a few times before this and I got out of his way with ok hands, but for some reason I fell in love with this hand. How bad is this play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t8930)
SB (t11123)
BB (t54408)
UTG (t17085)
Hero (t19278)
MP1 (t16500)
MP2 (t14795)
MP3 (t13077)
CO (t15161)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t16425</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls t12825.

Flop: (t33375) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t33375) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t33375) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t33375

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Ks (one pair, kings).
MP1 has Jc Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP1 wins t33375. </font>
Old 10-03-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: How bad is this call ($2 NLHE)

Pretty Bad Call.

Villian pushed in MP after a raise. With no specific reads, I put him on either a pocket pair or an AK, AQ. (Or even Ax considering its a $2 tourney) To any of these, you are an underdog.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty Bad Call.

Villian pushed in MP after a raise. With no specific reads, I put him on either a pocket pair or an AK, AQ. (Or even Ax considering its a $2 tourney) To any of these, you are an underdog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty horrible response. Your "justification" for why its a bad call is really a reasoning for it being a correct call. He is getting about 1.8-1, on his call, and using your range without "Ax", he is 40%.

From pokerstove:
Hand 1: 40.4437 % 40.08% 00.37% { KQs }
Hand 2: 59.5563 % 59.19% 00.37% { 22+, AQs+, AQo+ }

If you throw in AJ and AT it's even better.

This hand all depends on his range. Against a tight opponent, I think its a fold, against a player with a wide range, its an easy call.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:10 AM

A solid standard 3bb bid, and he over the tops, also taking the blinds, you felt pressure RR's before and he does this...

I dont think its a bad call, it obviously wasnt a good call in the result! But, you made a decent choice, you arent "out" at that point, severely crippled but a Chip and a chair, and a dream !

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty Bad Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is "ahead" with Ax or 22, does that mean you would fold KQs if your opponents cards were faceup, and they were either Ax or 22? If you say yes that is pretty terrible.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 AM

The range I put him on was AA-22, AKs-A7s, and AKo-ATo. That would put me about 41% underdog to his range, and at the time, the only hands I didn't really want to see were AA, KK, QQ, AK, or AQ. When he turned over the jacks, I was actually relieved that I wasn't a complete dog to him. Its good to know that the call was correct based on odds, because at the time, I also put into consideration that if I double up right here, I have the second biggest stack at a table which has pretty big stacks for this stage of the tourney, and could really start bullying and building up from that. I guess I figured I was already in the money, and if I was going to go deep, I'd need to get a big stack to do well. Plus, with the buy in so low, and already having won it back, figured that getting another pay grade or 2 wasn't going to satisify me.

Against his JJ, I was 46.5% dog, so basically a coinflip, but I could have easily been up against AK, AQ, or a higher pocket pair, which would have not been pretty. After the hand was over, I really hated my play there, most of the time I am more patient when it comes to things like that, but for some reason, those spades looked pretty there next to each other and convinced me I should call.

Funny thing is, I was going to be BB 2 hands later, and the hand before I was bb, I announced that I am all in on the bb no matter what I have, and lo and behold, everyone folds to me, when I am holding 3 7 off. Thought that was beautiful.