Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Semi-bluff/free showdown turn raise.

SB is tight/aggro with above average tenacity(tendency to go to showdown). 21/12/1.7 over 2.5k, 38 WtSD.

Button is a donkey.

I don't feel good about this hand. What do you think?

Party 20/40 (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font> intending for this to be the last bet he puts in the pot.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Semi-bluff/free showdown turn raise.

I am very curious to see the responses here. I think I like raising the flop both because you have the best hand a fair amount of the time, and to fold the button off a 1-club hand. If SB just calls, and check-raises the turn, I think you have an easy fold. If SB 3 bets, I call, and go to showdown, barring a club, in which case I'll give it up. I might be losing too many bets in this situation, so I appreciate any thoughts.

Given your flop line, I think your turn play is perfect. I'm betting the river again if an A or T hits, which I assume was inplied by the "semi-bluff" in the title.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 AM

Assuming you're not folding, the raise is much better than a call. I think you get three bet here by a hand you beat almost never(which is the key issue in most free showdown raise situations).
Old 10-04-2005, 03:50 AM

I dont like the three bet before the flop for the following reasons: 1) he will have an opportunity to reraise and cap with all the following hands: TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ, and AJ, all which are a favorite to your hand. And since the pot is being contested short handed, he will more than likely cap with everything down to AQ, putting you on a re-steal. The best you can hope for is a 50/50 situation with a hand like 99, 88, 77, or lower. And still, I wouldnt necessarily 3-bet to open up a reraise in a 50/50 situation, especially when it is you who holds the over cards and not the pocket pair. Having one bet in the pot already and two players, you are not wrong to just call his raise with ATs, you are not wrong to call his raise, getting 5 to 1 pot odds. I prefer calling than reraising.

Since you got a favorable flop with top pair, this could have helped you: now you can beat AK, AQ, AJ, and all pocket pairs 99 and below. In addition, if he has any of the ace type hands, you have him drawing to 3 outs, assuming he doesnt hold a club. If he has a pocket pair, you have him drawing to two outs, unless he holds a club. If he holds a club, you are about 50/50. The worst case scenario on the flop, is when he holds a bigger pair and a bigger club, in which case it is you who are drawing to catch another pair and dodge a club. It is a marginal holding on the flop, but one too strong to give up on. I would raise him on the flop with the intention of knocking out the donkey on the button. If he checks the turn, you should check, no matter what falls. If he bets into you on the river, you should call, no matter what has fallen. You have to give up that turn money to avoid getting check raised and to give your a chance to get to the showdown cheaply, and also to induce him to bluff at it if he doesnt hold a club.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 AM

I actually like Justin's line even less than mine. Checking the turn is bad. You can easily fold to a CR, which costs you the same number of bets as checking it through and calling a river bet. You should charge the hands you are ahead of to see the river.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 AM

especially when there are so many cards that you dont want to see: any card above a 6 and any club.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 AM

i would just muck the turn but of course raising is better than calling down. i think this hand would be more interesting if he didnt cap preflop.