Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Questionable on all streets

10 handed Party 20/40. Donk posts in MP, 3 behind the button. Terrible UTG limps, I raise UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], tight player behind me folds, donk poster calls, CO calls, button calls, SB calls, BB calls. A million players, 14 SBs.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Blinds check, UTG donkbets (he's a 46/7/1 who goes to showdown like 48% of the time), I raise, folds to the BB who check/3-bets, UTG calls 2, I call.

3 players for 11.5 BBs. Turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB now checks, UTG checks, I check.

River is the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB bets, UTG calls, I overcall.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Questionable on all streets

[ QUOTE ]
10 handed . . . I raise UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10 handed . . . I raise UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to isolate a terrible player in this situation is good IMO and I would I play this hand the same way.

The turn check is the interesting thing and I would rather see a bet/fold here as we are losing value by checking when horrible players are going to call with worse hands and the times we are check raised in a protected pot we are obviously behind. The way this is played I overcall as well.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to isolate a terrible player in this situation is good IMO and I would I play this hand the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure about this. I can totally understand the desire to isolate the bad player, but the poster being a donk means he's calling the raise with almost any 2, which may invite later position cold callers. I thought we had a big discussion about opening in front of posters and not loosening the range of hands we'd do it with.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:28 AM

Totally agree this is a fold or possibly a limp. Sfer I think you played the postflop very well despite your post title. To clarify, the river is between a call and a raise right?

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-02-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure about this. I can totally understand the desire to isolate the bad player, but the poster being a donk means he's calling the raise with almost any 2, which may invite later position cold callers. I thought we had a big discussion about opening in front of posters and not loosening the range of hands we'd do it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see this thread (I don't think), so I don't understand it, yet. Pre-flop was my only questionable street, however, I'm sure your logic is correct, so I'll go with it. I think everything else looks good.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:39 AM

I think I'd have to let this one go preflop. I understand wanting to isolate on the donk, and this being 20/40 you're ordinarily less likely to get coldcalled after raising UTG+1, but...that donk poster does make a difference, as suddenly after he calls all kinds of hands behind him (pocket pairs, suited aces/broadway, big/medium suited connectors) are invited to come along.

That said, I think you played postflop brilliantly.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:41 AM

i don't like the PF raise, too often you're gonna be playing a multi-way pot OOP

bet the turn.

edit: bet the turn because you want to charge 2 pair/set to draw out on you (which is a very likely hand for the BB) in a pot this big and it's very unlikely this lineup checks a better hand on the turn
Old 10-02-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally agree this is a fold or possibly a limp. Sfer I think you played the postflop very well despite your post title. To clarify, the river is between a call and a raise right?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like a river raise
Old 10-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Neither do I. I just wanted to clarify that its closer to a raise than a fold since sfer thinks its questionable on all streets. I can't imagine folding here. I also think betting the turn is necessary but can get expensive. Is that really a board you want to be bet/folding on? That would be a tough spot.

-DeathDonkey