Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Correct Move? ($10 Multi on stars)

Unfortunetely I didn't save the hand history, but this is one I will remember for a while. 768 entrants, and it's down to 45. I'm in the 2nd payment tier. Blinds are 600/1200 and I have about 10,000 chips (short stack). I believe that I'm SB and I get AKo. someone in about 4th position pushes all in for about 20K. I called it and he had 88. I didn't improve and I went out in the tourny in 44th. What would you guys have done?

Thanks,
~Jon
Old 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Correct Move? ($10 Multi on stars)

I think you have to call here. You have less than 10 BBs and you need to make a move. This will likely be your best opportunity.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM

insta-call.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:53 PM

results

oriented

thinking

this is an insta-call
Old 10-01-2005, 04:54 PM

I'd instacall, you are not up against aces or kings, because they wouldn't have pushed with a hand like that, and any lower pair its a race. Also, anyone pushing with a weaker king or ace is as good as dominated here, and you got your chips in 70/30 fave.

AK is a good hand heads up, it is a drawing hand, but so many people like to go all in with lessor aces that its a great hand to have in a situation like this.

Easy call, tough luck on your coinflip.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is a drawing hand,

[/ QUOTE ] '

No it's as much a drawing hand as 55 or any (non-A's or K's) pair.. i hate when people say that.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the confidence. Unfortunetely I haven't been in the money very often in tournaments (then again I haven't played many tourneys yet) but I had my eye on the $2K prize and I just felt really close to the final table if I had won that hand. I had come back from about 950 chips w/ 200 left to about 12000 chips when I got in the money. I felt like I could play strong poker and do better than I did. But like you said I was a bit results oriented (even though I made the call). I had a fellow 2+2er watching my play and he kept reminding me not to be results-oriented.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is a drawing hand,

[/ QUOTE ] '

No it's as much a drawing hand as 55 or any (non-A's or K's) pair.. i hate when people say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say that only because unimproved, its not going to win as often as a mid pocket pair would unimproved. I still play my AK's aggressively, and even if I don't hit on flops, I usually still bet aggressively on the flop (and usually they fold too!), but against lower pocket pairs, you are drawing for your 6 outs (or 2 high pairs to counterfeit their pair).

Granted, its a very powerful hand heads up, and IMO a top 5 hand (aks is 4, ako is 5 in my book, AQs is arguable), and only a complete dog to AA, and a 30/70 dog to KK. Any other hand, its either a coinflip/near coinflip (pocket pairs), or a 60/40 fave or better.

So, what was I ranting about again?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Absolutely, that was an insta-call. In order to win tournaments you must win tossups its that simple. On a side note though, what do you think villian's range is? I think its 88-JJ, AK, and maybe AQ, but I'm interested in others opinions.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, that was an insta-call. In order to win tournaments you must win tossups its that simple. On a side note though, what do you think villian's range is? I think its 88-JJ, AK, and maybe AQ, but I'm interested in others opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching JB in this tournament for quite awhile by the time this hand happened, and based on seeing the villian become very aggro once ITM, I think his range could have easily been any pair + AQ - AK.

As I told you, JB... this is an insta-call 11 times out of 10. Even when you are knowingly beat, it is a push given your situation and many other combination of situations.

Good luck in the 500k.