Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Aruba Bustout Hand

OK, I'm violently hung over, and playing pretty ABCishly. My table is tough, with Phil Ivey being the SECOND most aggressive player. He's sitting two seats to my left, and we've butted heads a couple of times, with varying results. The guy between us seems to be a limp preflop, then push or fold type postflop fella.

It's 300/600 plus 75 antes. I was in decent shape, but lost about a third of my stack holding KK vs. Ax. Arg. I'm down to ~15K. There's about 45 minutes left in the day, and I really don't want to come back tomorrow with a crappy stack. You know how it is.

Anyway, folded around to me in MP with QQ. I make it $2K. Guy to my left calls, which he's been doing, as I said. Everyone else folds.

Flop comes 9TJ rainbow. I bet 3500 into a 5500 pot and he instantly announces allin and pushes his chips in. He has me covered.

Okey dokey then...I'm getting slightly better than 2:1 on my remaining 9K. If I'm drawing, it's about the right price, and if I'm ahead, I'm way ahead.

Folding seems almost impossibly bad here. If I'm behind, I almost certainly have ten outs. He'll have AJ some of the time, too--perhaps more often that any other single hand. Even this player would almost definitely reraise AA or KK preflop. Can he call a preflop raise with TJ, or does he have a set or KQ?

Anyway, I tanked and really tried to listen to the little weak-tight voice in my head that said "Fold and try to double up before we break for the day, and you'll be ok," but naturally, I did not.

I took three minutes, called, he showed me aces, I whiffed the turn and river, and stumbled away.

I played pretty poorly the whole day. I bluffed at all the wrong pots, and I mucked when I knew a raise would win the pot the rest of the time. It was pretty pathetic. My buddy got me drunk, then I played poker hungover. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

<sigh>
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Aruba Bustout Hand

sucks you got busted, but i mean you had 10 outs, are ahead enough to def call. i think you would not feel this way if you won, obv, but i mean you lost this time but i think it was an obv call.
dave
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 PM

sucks, but pretty standard call there.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sucks, but pretty standard call there

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think my point was really that I was trying to talk myself out of making the "standard call," counterintuitive as it would have been, in the interest of survival.

Which would be in furtherance of my play all day, addled as I was.

(See my avatar. If I had felt even half THAT good, I would have been fine. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Not that this has much to do with the hand described, but lately I have found success in slowing down my own betting and letting people bluff off chips. Doing a lot more calling in position and snapping off the seemingly ubiquitous overbets on flop.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that this has much to do with the hand described, but lately I have found success in slowing down my own betting and letting people bluff off chips. Doing a lot more calling in position and snapping off the seemingly ubiquitous overbets on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a natural and effective reaction to the increased aggression we find in all tournaments these days.

The edited TV broadcasts have made a lot of players believe that the only way to play tourney poker is like a crazy insane lunatic.

Has anyone seen Gus Hansen lately? I think Michael Mizrachi is looking for him.

Sorry for that last bit, but the stories I have been hearing about how Mizrachi got his massive stack yesterday are just plain wacky.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that yes, you're making sense. Just gotta make sure not to give away too many free suckout cards.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for that last bit, but the stories I have been hearing about how Mizrachi got his massive stack yesterday are just plain wacky.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:11 PM

I had drinks with a guy who was at his table, and the guy (who didn't seem to have any reason to lie) told me Mizrachi was pumped up over 150K by getting his chips in with the worst of it like over and over.

This guy told me that the table was clear on what he was doing, and they kept catching him, but that he just kept sucking out.

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of this sort of heresay, but in this case, I seem to be suspending my fairly loose policy regarding the issue.

He had a very nice powder blue sweatsuit on, though. I can tell you THAT much with confidence.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:33 PM

bummer on your bust out. bummer on your bust out hand, not much you can do. Queens busted me in the main event, i think i will fold them in a big tournament from now on.