Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Flopped the nuts. Ugly turn. How can I stack him there?

NL25 6 max. Villian is a typical 25 player. Overplays one pair hands(esp. TPTK), cant get away from good hands when he knows he's beaten, e.t.c. But not an idiot. He has about 35, I cover.

I've been raising only premium hands
(about 2% pfr I think [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and decide to mix it up a little.

All fold to me in CO, and raise to 1.5$ with
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Button folds, SB folds, Villian calls in BB

Flop(~3$)

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian bets 2.

Great. He has AK or 2 pair/set, maybe A10, definately not a flush draw. I'm thinking of making a raise to say 6 right here, but I'm afraid he might put me on AA/JJ/QQ. (I've been raising only premium hands and like I said he's no idiot).
So I decide to call and pray for the turn not to be a diamond(or a broadway card for that matter).

Turn(~7$)

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Great. I screwed up.

Villian bets 3. This is definately 2 pair. I decide that I'm going to puke over half the deck that may fall on the river, so I raise to 8 and pray that he pushes or calls.

Villian folds.

Questions:

1) Would a raise on the flop be a better line?
2) Maybe I should just call the turn and hope it bricks. Another diamond probably won't help him anyway and i still can extact another 3-5 bucks from him...

So, whats your oppinion?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Flopped the nuts. Ugly turn. How can I stack him there?

Raise the flop. One of the most important rules in NL: (almost) never slowplay flopped broadway straights in raised pots.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:17 PM

I play NL25 also. Ive found that its almost always better to bet or raise than slowplay at this level. If you dont want to chase him away, then make a bet of 1/3-1/2 the pot instead.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 PM

you have to raise because too many cards are scare cards that will kill your action....get the money in now when he's feeling good about his hand.

Any diamond, king or 10 on the turn or river just clobbers your action. If he doesn't have at least two pair he's folding to your raise probably....but you gotta take a shot to win a big pot at getting a raise in, and the best place in this hand is the flop.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never slowplay flopped broadway straights in raised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

such good advice.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM

I want to add a question to this hand. Say the villan calls your turn raise. River comes 2 of diamonds (or any other diamond that wouldnt add to the straight on the table, or pair a card up).

What do you do if villan
A) Checks to you?
B) Pushes?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
never slowplay flopped broadway straights in raised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

such good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:45 PM

You need to raise the flop- there are waaay too many scare cards to come (any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], any A,J,Q). Play your straight like all your other stronger hands (2 pair, set,etc).
Old 09-29-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to raise because too many cards are scare cards that will kill your action....get the money in now when he's feeling good about his hand.

Any diamond, king or 10 on the turn or river just clobbers your action. If he doesn't have at least two pair he's folding to your raise probably....but you gotta take a shot to win a big pot at getting a raise in, and the best place in this hand is the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah I know I shouldnt slowplay flopped broadways in raised pots. But my reasoning was this:

If I call flop.

1) If the turn bricks, he probably pots it, I raise and he pushes. I'm sure of it 90%.

2) If the turn comes a diamond he MIGHT not give me much credit if I raise, since I migh be pushing him him off the nuts with something like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

3) If the board pairs I can get away from the hand easily.

If I raise the flop.

1) It's about 50/50 that he calls/pushes or folds.

2) If he calls and the turn comes a diamond or a broadway he probably shuts up.

3) If it bricks I'm probably stacking him, but this time I think its about 75% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

I want to add a question to this hand. Say the villan calls your turn raise. River comes 2 of diamonds (or any other diamond that wouldnt add to the straight on the table, or pair a card up).

What do you do if villan
A) Checks to you?
B) Pushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the river comes a diamond and he checks, I'm probably checking, because there is a SMALL chance HE has like
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the pot is big enough. If he pushes I'm probably folding(they don't push withouth the nuts).
But I'dont know really.

If he calls the turn raise it's either AK with the King of diamonds or 2 pair with an ace/set. When they push the river they just have it, when they bet 1/3 - they dont. It boils down to that.

Still not sure If I shouldev just raised the flop... Maybe you're right guys...
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 AM

Still, the main reason for calling the flop was
"He MIGHT fold if I raise right here(I may have a AA/JJ/AQ/QQ), but he will NEVER fold if the turn bricks, because I would raise that scary board if i had a really big hand"