Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 AM

Default First O8 post - bet or check the river?

$200 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: X( $247.06 )
Seat 3: Villain ( $299 )
Seat 7: X( $132.03 )
Seat 8: X( $250.70 )
Seat 9: X( $180.85 )
Seat 5: TWP ( $255.63 )
Seat 10: X( $203.15 )
Seat 4: X( $196 )
Seat 6: PFR ( $205.60 )
Seat 2: X( $200 )
Villain posts small blind [$1].
X posts big blind [$2].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to TWP 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
TWP calls [$2].
PFR raises [$7].
Buncha folds.
X calls [$7].
Villain calls [$6].
X folds.
TWP calls [$5].

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($28)
Villain bets [$2].
TWP calls [$2].
PFR calls [$2].
X calls [$2].

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($36)
Villain bets [$2].
TWP raises [$42.10].
PFR folds.
X folds.
Villain calls [$40.10].

River Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($120)
Villain checks.
TWP...?

Do you bet? If so, how much? And did I mess up the rest of the hand? I'm just starting to play PLO8 so definitely blast me where I've messed up. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit: Also, seems like there isn't a hand converter for O8 so I just tried to clean up the file myself. If anyone can point me towards a standard posting format, though, that would be appreciated, too.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: First O8 post - bet or check the river?

I probably just check the river. I think your hand is likely good: missed flush/low draw with a pair or something like that for villian. I don't know that there's any money to be gained by betting because I don't see you getting paid off by worse hands here often. What would you do against a raise? I think I just check behind and take my pot and the information about his hand (unfortunately giving up some of my own).

Just some thoughts.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:20 AM

Any comment on rest of hand? Limp UTG? Call raise? Raise turn? Sorry, but I am literally just getting started at Omaha and need all the help I can get. This is probably my 20th hand played or something. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 AM

You're playing your 20th hand of PLO8 at the $200 tables?

I'd check behind, btw, FWIW. With no low, you're very vulnerable and I don't see you getting a better hand to fold.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing your 20th hand of PLO8 at the $200 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check behind, btw, FWIW. With no low, you're very vulnerable and I don't see you getting a better hand to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Any comments on rest of hand?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Again, this is all my personal opinion/thoughts.

Limp calling preflop is fine from here. you have 2 (well 3) nut draws, flush, straight, low. There's enough money in the pot that calling 5 more is no big deal.

Flop - no one folds for $2 here.

Turn raise, I'm torn. You've now got a nut low draw (relatively unprotected). I like the raise if I think there's a good chance that I'm winning right there with the raise or scooping the pot anyway (is my pair of kings good?). The low draw is insurance.

I guess I've just been scooped or quartered a little too much when the diamond flush/random 2 pair comes out on the river to love this raise. However, this is the place to make the raise if you are going to do it, but I (personally) have to feel my K is good.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Hey, I was born in MediaPA. Nice username.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Everybody's Hometown. Good restaurants, but a little tame for someone younger than 30.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:18 PM

Preflop looks fine. Your hand is well-disguised and the pot still got raised, which is what you want.

Postflop, it's true that a min-bet never likes to see a raise, and I think it's good policy to stick in a pot-raise whenever someone tries to slip a min-bet by you, sometimes regardless of your cards (eg, on a board like this, but only in heads up situation). Here, you might be better off going for the jam on the flop though--I think the risk of getting called from behind is about equal on the flop and turn here, which is the main danger with that move, and assuming the players w/ position on you fold, jamming the flop will allow you to check behind on the turn if Villian calls on the flop. Then, on the river if he checks again you're probably not going to have a problem buying the pot with a big bet, or value-betting 1/3-1/2 of the pot if your hand improved. If he bets out the river, so be it, it'll be a tough decision depending how your hand developed.

As you played it, I get the feeling that you are either there or he has a relatively weak hand that's ahead of you. Since if you are ahead (eg, he had a draw that missed), then he'll be folding to a big bet; but if he has two pair he will find a big river bet tough to look up. The only real danger is a hand like set of 6's that may have been scared to shove on the turn (many tight-weak players at this level) but that will call a big bet on the river given the broken low/flush draws that it looks like you may have been drawing to.

Still, this looks like a good spot to fire again.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your great post.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop looks fine. Your hand is well-disguised and the pot still got raised, which is what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool.
[ QUOTE ]

Postflop, it's true that a min-bet never likes to see a raise, and I think it's good policy to stick in a pot-raise whenever someone tries to slip a min-bet by you, sometimes regardless of your cards (eg, on a board like this, but only in heads up situation). Here, you might be better off going for the jam on the flop though--I think the risk of getting called from behind is about equal on the flop and turn here, which is the main danger with that move, and assuming the players w/ position on you fold, jamming the flop will allow you to check behind on the turn if Villian calls on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought of raising the flop but was afraid that the preflop raiser would call or raise behind me. And my hand is not so hot until I hit the nut low draw on the turn. I was prepared to drop it to a raise from the preflop raiser on the flop behind me. Is this a mistake?
[ QUOTE ]

Then, on the river if he checks again you're probably not going to have a problem buying the pot with a big bet, or value-betting 1/3-1/2 of the pot if your hand improved. If he bets out the river, so be it, it'll be a tough decision depending how your hand developed.

As you played it, I get the feeling that you are either there or he has a relatively weak hand that's ahead of you. Since if you are ahead (eg, he had a draw that missed), then he'll be folding to a big bet; but if he has two pair he will find a big river bet tough to look up. The only real danger is a hand like set of 6's that may have been scared to shove on the turn (many tight-weak players at this level) but that will call a big bet on the river given the broken low/flush draws that it looks like you may have been drawing to.

Still, this looks like a good spot to fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damnit. I think you're 100% correct. I checked, of course, but I believe a pot-sized bet is correct here. I checked because I hoped he was just on a draw that missed and my TPTK was good. But he had two small pair (9s and 6s) which I'm fairly certain he would have had to drop to a big bet on the river. He most likely only called the turn because he had the nut low draw also to go with his two pair.