Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Wait for a blank?

2/4 6-max (woo-hoo I have returned), Prima.

Villain has 500, I cover with 700. I have been playing VERY aggressively (I am finally realizing playing very aggressive in most of these games, I'm going to run them over), basically raising if it's folded to me on Button/CO, increasing my raising range UTG to ATo+, A8s+, etc. The table is a typical 400 NL table, weak, passive (although they are beginning to play back / call down more often against me).

Folded to me on the Button, I raise to 16 with 5d6d. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop (34): 5s 6s Ax

BB checks, I bet 32 (been doing this on/off, depending on the flop texture, etc., but probably CBing 80%+ time), BB check-raises to 100.

I am fairly sure I am ahead. I put him on any strong Ace (AJ+, especially AJs+ of the flop's suit), A6, A5, or very rarely 55/66. I am almost 90% sure that this villain, with AA, re-raises me pre-flop given his position, but it's not out of the possibility. I don't see a big draw like 78s, I think he most likely check-calls with that, but it is possible.

What's your line?

I plan on calling and getting it in on a safe turn (any non-A, non flush turn).
Old 09-27-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Wait for a blank?

Why not just push/big 3bet here? There's enough money behind for you to protect against any draw, and he may just go with you with a strong A.

There's no advantage here to waiting for the turn card. Even if seems to be a blank, he may have hit hit kicker. If it's a spade, you may get forced off your hand even though he didn't make the flush.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:35 PM

I haven't gotten out of "line" yet that he knows of. Regardless of how aggressive I am, I think he folds AJ-AK if I put in a sizeable 3-bet, except for maybe AJ-AK of the flop suits.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't gotten out of "line" yet that he knows of. Regardless of how aggressive I am, I think he folds AJ-AK if I put in a sizeable 3-bet, except for maybe AJ-AK of the flop suits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, but any broadway turn, or any spade (so about half the deck) could lead to nasty decisions. If he is drawing you lose value by not repopping the flop. Interesting hand.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 PM

Push. Imagine villain has AK here. What if the turn comes a J or Q. Are you getting it in then? Probably not. What if a spade peels off? A 4?

I like pushing here for a couple reasons, and the main one being that this is a weak enough hand that I'm pretty happy with a fold anyway, and yet a strong enough hand to give me extra FE with my draws if I decided to play those fast.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Push, dont guess on the turn. You are pretty sure you are ahead. If you flat call his c/r that will send just as many warning bells as pushing. Dont get put in a difficult spot on turn/lose your action to a flush card. Push, if he has a set, so be it, if he doesnt, you get youre money in ahead.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:23 AM

You can easily represent a big draw on this flop, which may induce calls from TPTK etc. Push and let villian do the guessing.