Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Bust hand on Prima 10+1re&ad

Button has been rather calm.

Blinds 400/800

Hero has 10320 before posting sb
Button has around 20k

Action:
Hero post sb: 400
Folded to button who raises to 1600
Hero calls with 78 of spades

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero pushes
Old 09-30-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Bust hand on Prima 10+1re&ad

[ QUOTE ]

Button has been rather calm.

Blinds 400/800

Hero has 10320 before posting sb
Button has around 20k

Action:
Hero post sb: 400
Folded to button who raises to 1600
Hero calls with 78 of spades

[/ QUOTE ]

This feels like a needless entanglement. You've got lots of time to wait for a better hand. The chips he picks up on the steal don't really hurt you. 78s can be a nice multiway hand, but you're not getting to play it multiway.

Instead, you've got a crummy HU hand, crummy position and you're on the wrong side of the Gap Concept. He's taken the initiative, and you're only going to wrest it away from him with a much better hand or a bet that scares him. Calling here flunks both those tests. Unless you flop 2 pair, a made flush or a made straight (less than 8% chance) you're probably in trouble after the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero pushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The flop missed you -- gutshot draw notwithstanding. You're probably behind. Given your preflop action, it's unconvincing if you're now trying to represent KK, TT or even 99, 55 or 33. You'd have raised those preflop, maybe pushed.

In fact, this is an awful board for you because it's so uncoordinated. There's no flush or straight draw to represent. No funky two-pair possibilities that would have called the preflop bet. About the best you could be trying to dance with is K9. If he's got that beat, he'll call and almost certainly take your chips.

Your M is about 10. That's plenty high enough that you should let this hand go and wait until you can initiate aggression with a better hand.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM

I was probably to eager to accumulate chips. But since the guy was on the button, and was capable of folding, I figured that it could be a good spot to make a move. He could have a rather wide raising range. I wasnt trying to represent any monster, just a pair. Which would be hard for him to call with ax, kx. I was playing the texture of the board in the sence that it likely missed him, not likely hit me. I was thinking that if he has a real hand so be it, because mostly he wont and will fold.

nah... I feel ashamed about the way I played this hand now. Thanks for your advice! really helped.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your fine comments!

I was probably to eager to accumulate chips. But since the guy was on the button, and was capable of folding, I figured that it could be a good spot to make a move. He could have a rather wide raising range. I wasnt trying to represent any monster, just a pair. Which would be hard for him to call with ax, kx. I was playing the texture of the board in the sence that it likely missed him, not likely hit me. I was thinking that if he has a real hand so be it, because mostly he wont and will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were down to 5,000 chips, I'd probably buy into all of this. By then, you've got to make a move. It's not a perfect situation for a stop-and-go/all-in, but it's not hopeless either.

Here, though, I'd wait a little and look for a chance to be first into the pot. You've still got enough chips that in the right situation, you can open/push with any two and have a very good chance of stealing the blinds. And if you actually get a hand in the next orbit, you can make money the old-fashioned way, too.

Just out of curiosity, what did he have?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 PM

He had K9