Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Awesome Play? Or Massive Text Book Overefficiency?

Tell me what you think of this play, it provides an interesting little anicdote and some light relief from my constant binge poker paradise life style (as the grip of gambling and broadband connection descends on my predisposed to gambling existence)

Anyway, I was playing in Middlesborough last night, on the $1-2 pot limit games as normal, brought in for a tonne and a half and started playing as normal. The difference was there was some new boys; bad players, playing every single hand. And other difference, I couldn't miss. Every gutshot draw, two to a flush, high card everything. They were playing every hand and I was winning everyone. I was playing pots to loose cash, it was almost embarrassing.

So the night went on the the guys kept on buying in for more cash and I was uptp £5k. The money was still infront of me, as are the rules of gentlemanly poker. So then came the hand. Most guys are in for more chips, and most of them now have about a grand, but one of the guys, who has been lucky too but plays well, has about 4.5k. I'm dealt AA on the button, awesome I think, here come another monster. The blinds are now 2-4, and the games moved to no limit. This is aggressive stuff and I'm out of my depth, but I'm up (massively) so all's good. Two raises and it's £50 to play. Nice one I'm taking this down.

So I raise. Call the £50, and make it £250 to play. Then came the crunch guy on the big blind, calls the £250 and does all in for £4500, there are two calls for about £1k each all in and then to me. £5k is alot of cash and I'm way out of my depth. What my play? My hearts all over the place? Interesting... hmmm ...... I can leave now and win move cash that I even have ahh....

I'll write back later with what i did..... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Awesome Play? Or Massive Text Book Overefficiency?

Seems to me this is a non-poker decision. If you're the kind of bloke who, when up a tonne and a half would flip a coin to make it three tonnes or nothing, then go in. If the tonne and a half is the perfect definition of a nice night, then fold and call it a night.

If you go all in, you don't have to worry about being out of your depth because then you just watch the cards come out.

Maybe it's just me but I'd worry about a) the other guy having the other aces; and b) the game being on the up-and-up. But I've never played in Middlesborough before.

Hope it worked out well for you.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:02 PM

I think Andy has it right. If you aren't willing to gamble on this one, you have too much of your bankroll on the table and should take your winnings and call it a night. It looks to me like your risking around 1K to chop up all the short stack's chips with the other guy's AA. I would definitely be worried about the game being straight if the other guy shows anything besides AA.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:34 PM

If the £5k means a big change in your lifestyle or you couldn't handle losing it, then by all means fold. But, I think you should push all-in and let the cards fall where they may. Let's GAMBOOOOL and make some real money. Plus you only have to beat one guy, the guy with £4500 to make a profit, correct? So if you beat him you make 3500-1000 or 2500, and if you win it all you get 4500+2000, or 6500. You'll have a great story win or lose. Small concellation if you lose, but...

BTW, I leave after this hand no matter what happens.