Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 AM

Default A question for Mormons?

After watching the South Park episode "All About Mormons", I decided to check out the actual facts about Mormons, to see what they were joking about, and what was real.

Surprisingly, I found that they made up/exagerated vitually nothing, and the actual story is hilarious as it is.

In fact, they left out the bit about Joseph Smith being completely discredited when he claimed to translate yet another New Testament. He didn't know the Rosetta Stone had been discovered, and that Europeans were able to transate what he had found as simple burial documents.

My question is this: Do Mormons defend their religion in any way, or is it just hands-down the siliest religion around?

Do the believers just put their fingers in their ears and hum when questioned, while expressing their happiness that other people are free to have their own beliefs, and they comlpetely respect that?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: A question for Mormons?

According to the guys at South Park, they are humming the tune "dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb". I was amazed by that episode too and was shocked when the information in it was accurate. And Mormonism is actually popular. Even Catholics and Jews have to laugh at the absurdity of Mormonism.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:39 PM

My brother is a mormon. I tried to get him to read "Atlas shrugged". The deal is I will read his "Bible" and he will real atlas shrugged in exchange. I will let you know how it goes in a month or so.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother is a mormon. I tried to get him to read "Atlas shrugged". The deal is I will read his "Bible" and he will real atlas shrugged in exchange. I will let you know how it goes in a month or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds like a good definition of Hell. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Do I have your permission to cross reference your post in the "Hell" thread from a few weeks ago?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After watching the South Park episode "All About Mormons", I decided to check out the actual facts about Mormons, to see what they were joking about, and what was real.

Surprisingly, I found that they made up/exagerated vitually nothing, and the actual story is hilarious as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

That South Park episode is a classic. There is quite a bit more about Mormonism that is truly bizarre. I recommend this excellent book by Jon Krakauer which provides an account of the history and beliefs of the Mormon faith, and how they are related to the "Mormon murders" which occurred in 1984. After reading that book, I'm convinced that many of the tenets of the original doctrine were created as an excuse to enable 50 year old men to sleep with a bevy of teenaged girls:

Under the Banner of Heaven

[ QUOTE ]

My question is this: Do Mormons defend their religion in any way, or is it just hands-down the siliest religion around?

[/ QUOTE ]

They defend their faith the same way other Christians do: by claiming the strange and inexplicable revelations in their sacred text is the One and Only Truth.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:21 PM

If there is a hell I will be the first one there.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a hell I will be the first one there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be surprised to see a few of us believers right behind you.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 PM

link

This was a pretty good thread from about 6 months ago with someone defending/explaining the Church of Latter Day Saints. {censored} does a good job.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM

"After reading that book, I'm convinced that many of the tenets of the original doctrine were created as an excuse to enable 50 year old men to sleep with a bevy of teenaged girls:"

Have you ever been to Provo Utah? A Mormon enclave and one of the most crime free cities in the United States. If you have not immersed yourself in studying the specific beliefs of a particular religion you have no right to criticize it. Your lack of of open mindedness is very unbecoming. You just can't stand the idea that there is perhaps a religion you don't belong to, that is the one that has found ultimate truth. So you reject it out of hand. Whearas I'm studying it as we speak.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"After reading that book, I'm convinced that many of the tenets of the original doctrine were created as an excuse to enable 50 year old men to sleep with a bevy of teenaged girls:"

Have you ever been to Provo Utah? A Mormon enclave and one of the most crime free cities in the United States. If you have not immersed yourself in studying the specific beliefs of a particular religion you have no right to criticize it. Your lack of of open mindedness is very unbecoming. You just can't stand the idea that there is perhaps a religion you don't belong to, that is the one that has found ultimate truth. So you reject it out of hand. Whearas I'm studying it as we speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

Btw, let me know if it works. Maybe, I'll join you. Tempting, very tempting.