Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 04:47 PM

Default 400NL 6 max - two nuts-and-bolts hands

(I'm assuming this is the appropriate forum, these seem straightforward "technique" hands.)

Both Party 400NL 6 max. Effective stacks $400 both times.

Hand 1.

I join in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG+1 raises to $16 and SB and I both call.

$48 pot, 3 players, flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB min bets (!), I call, UTG+1 "raises" to $56, SB folds.

Am I better calling and check raising (leading?) the turn? Or reraising now?

Hand 2

I minimum raise UTG with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+1 and BB calls (my 1st orbit, so no reads).

$26 pot, 3 players, flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . I bet $20, UTG+1 quickly calls, BB folds.

$66 pot, 2 players, turn (7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. What's my plan for the rest of my hand? Lead and fold to a raise (what if he calls?) Or check-call?

After playing with UTG+1 for a while longer, I discovered he was (i) not completely rubbish (ii) very aggressive with position and (iii) seemed to call a lot with position. How would that alter my plan for hand 2?

Any advice appreciated
Old 09-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 400NL 6 max - two nuts-and-bolts hands

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Hand 1: I sometimes re-raise PF,sometimes call. It's 50/50 based on reads. I like re-raising the flop. Flat calling leaves you in a strange spot- OOP in a large pot against God knows what. I wouldn't be surprised to see AK here.

I generally like to raise SB's inital bet. Unless you know UTG will raise, I like to define my hand. Reraising the pot and pushing the turn is my plan.

Hand 2: I generally never mini-raise PF. Why not make a real raise?

I think UTG will bet if checked to, based on your description. I'm torn between betting 2/3 the pot or check/calling. I think I like c/c. c/c-ing minimizes the pot, and gives you an easier chance to fill up on the river.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm assuming this is the appropriate forum, these seem straightforward "technique" hands.)

Both Party 400NL 6 max. Effective stacks $400 both times.

Hand 1.

I join in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG+1 raises to $16 and SB and I both call.

$48 pot, 3 players, flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB min bets (!), I call

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you raise SB on the flop?

You're in a very tricky position now, because UTG+1 saw you call a miniscule bet on the flop and then flat-call his pot-sized raise OOP. He's bound to put you on a monster hand -- which means if he's a decent player, he's not putting another dime into the pot unless A) he has you beat or B) he improves on the turn.

As it played out, you're sort of screwed. If you raise here, your call-reraise play on the flop forces him to fold pretty much everything except for three hands: AA, QQ, and AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Now, when he pushes, you have to decide how likely AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is compared to the others.. but you're probably going to have to lay down -- depending of course on all of the bet sizes.

If you call his raise, the turn is tricky... his hand range is a little wider, but neither a king nor a diamond make you very happy. This is much easier to play if you know anything about how this guy plays his draws.

[ QUOTE ]

I minimum raise UTG with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+1 and BB calls (my 1st orbit, so no reads).

[/ QUOTE ]

First orbit and you're min-raising? Stop here and explain this to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 PM

Hand 1: So is nobody worried about scaring AK, AJ, KK off by making a man's raise? My thinking was min-bet, call, raise, fold, call would look like a flush draw; so I could check-raise the turn 4/5 of the time (unfortunately I got greedy when he raised ~the pot and reraised).

Hand 2: Yeah it's trendy to dislike min-raises. I've been experimenting a bit ... the jury's out ... anyway the real poker happens on the turn here... thoughts?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:45 PM

The min raise from EP with small pocket pairs works great. Because you c/f the flop so often after doing it, opponents generally tend to not put you on any hand after you do it; therefore when you do hit a set-- it's all over. By the time the guy with TPTK figures it out, his stack is in the middle.

Just make sure you occassionally min. raise KK/AA/AK as well to stop people from just re-raising you preflop.

Raise flop on hand 1. As played, make it 170 or CR turn.

Hand 2-- Check/call turn. Check raise or weak lead river if you fill up-- but make sure you make it look like a block bet.