Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Default 2/4 15k hands/break even basically question...

Alright...here's the story. I started playing 4 tables of 2/4 on party skins about 4 months ago for a living through college. Making around $1500/month was good enough for bills for me. About 14k hands ago, I noticed I was down roughly $350 or so. I said "that's cool, just a little fluctuation". Downswings/Upswings don't get my emotions mixed up whatsoever, because they really aren't supposed to. Well, 14k hands later, I'm here, and I see every session within these 14k hands, that I have remained between -$350 to -$150. I have never experienced something like this this long, really really weird. Does anyone have an experience like this, they can shed some light on? Or how long something like this should really go on for? Btw, I never tilt and I know I am playing right, not missing bets, etc, just autopiloting it like I usually do. Thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: 2/4 15k hands/break even basically question...

[ QUOTE ]
Alright...here's the story. I started playing 4 tables of 2/4 on party skins about 4 months ago for a living through college. Making around $1500/month was good enough for bills for me. About 14k hands ago, I noticed I was down roughly $350 or so. I said "that's cool, just a little fluctuation". Downswings/Upswings don't get my emotions mixed up whatsoever, because they really aren't supposed to. Well, 14k hands later, I'm here, and I see every session within these 14k hands, that I have remained between -$350 to -$150. I have never experienced something like this this long, really really weird. Does anyone have an experience like this, they can shed some light on? Or how long something like this should really go on for? Btw, I never tilt and I know I am playing right, not missing bets, etc, just autopiloting it like I usually do. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

First, let's all admit you're making mistakes in those 15k hands. Everyone does....especially multitabling. Somewhere along the line you're doing things like tilting and missing bets. Can't really comment on how much this is contributing to your break even stretch since I don't know how you play.

Second, that's just a decent breakeven stretch. but plenty of people have them. I've gone on 15k breakeven stretches before, and there's always the story of CDCs 60k breakeven stretch.

So, no big deal.

P.S. Autopilot blows.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 PM

I've run 28k break-even. This is over 120k hands.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:45 PM

what is CDC? Of course everyone makes mistakes, You can never play 100% perfect 100% of the time, period. I understand that. But at least it makes me feel better that a 15k break even stretch is definitely heard of. Thanks for replies.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:05 PM

CDC is a very good player, if that helps you make sense of the above.

Be aware that while breakeven streaks are possible, just like downswings, they make it more likely that you are a marginal winner or marginal loser. It's a good time to re-evaluate your game to make sure you are playing a solid game.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've run 28k break-even. This is over 120k hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was about my longest too, but looking back I was playing poorly during that time.

Best thing you can do is post hands. Not bad beat hands, rather post the "I flopped top pair from the BB with J9o and got raised what should I do now" type of hands...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's always the story of CDCs 60k breakeven stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

What limit was CDC's breakeven stretch at? I've always wondered how long a reasonable breakeeven stretch can be at lower limits where one's BB/100 is typically much higher.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they make it more likely that you are a marginal winner or marginal loser. It's a good time to re-evaluate your game to make sure you are playing a solid game.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.