Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Default A maniac, an unknown, and a flush draw

SB is new to the table, so I have no read at all. (It doesn't matter much for this hand, but UTG is also new, but seems very loose donkish.)

Maniac is in the BB, capable of capping just about anything. He has been shifting gears from HyperLAG to suicidal. We've been going at it for a good 60-70 hands and I think I've been driving him nuts, showing down winner after winner (including a calling a river bet with queen high). We just came off a brief lull as the new players arrived, but it feels like winding it up again.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ...

What should I be thinking about here? What line should I take?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: A maniac, an unknown, and a flush draw

I raise. You maybe have a better hand than the maniac, and maybe get SB to fold a hand like JJ or AJ. I don't wait for the turn b/c I think the odds of both of these things happening are pretty small so let's take a crack at it when it's cheap on the flop. Also, on the flop you make money on every bet going in if it's three handed.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:06 PM

At this point if you raise then you are probably not going to slow him down. Also, I don't think that you need to raise to get rid of SB here (the only reason that you want to get rid of SB would be to clear some outs). Obviously with only 2 others in the pot you aren't going to get great results from a "value raise" - I think we actually break even here as we are 2:1 to hit our flush by the river?

One thing that a raise may do here is disguise your hand or induce a bluff from BB - these LAGtastics love betting scare cards and obviously any heart here should shift him into overdrive if he doesn't think you have the flush. What do we think are the chances that BB will keep betting if the flush hits? Do we need to disguise our hand with a raise here? Do we think that a raise here gets us a free turn card (I am guessing no)?

Sorry I only have questions and not answers...I am trying to think this one through haha.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:30 PM

I imagine if SB is out then you will be showing down this hand even unimproved. A raise here helps to get SB out from which point we can call down UI or pop on any A or heart. If SB check-3bets followed by BB cap I think we have to evaluate on the turn. Keeping SB in for our flush draw is somewhat pointless since if he isn't ahead now then he is probably reverse dominating our A.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 PM

The way I see it is Maniacs get hands too. You have a great drawing hand but you are most likely behind right now.

I'm calling the flop hoping to keep SB in.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Raise and get it HU.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:56 PM

im liking a raise here

if sb folds, great, your A high might be best. If not, you're still getting 2:1 on your money on the flop with the nut flush draw. Seems like a sweet deal to me.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point if you raise then you are probably not going to slow him down. Also, I don't think that you need to raise to get rid of SB here (the only reason that you want to get rid of SB would be to clear some outs). Obviously with only 2 others in the pot you aren't going to get great results from a "value raise" - I think we actually break even here as we are 2:1 to hit our flush by the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! I obviously meant a 2:1 dog to hit our flush by the river. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Does anyone actually believe SB is going to fold the flop when we raise while getting 8:1 given what he knows about BB's tendencies?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually believe SB is going to fold the flop when we raise while getting 8:1 given what he knows about BB's tendencies?

[/ QUOTE ]

A) SB is new to the table and knows nothing about BB.
B) Don't assume an unknown 1/2 player is thinking: "Lets see what my odds are here. Oh, I'm getting 8:1".